Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce – an 80’s throwback! I like to pack in a lot of sun dried tomato flavour here by using the oil from the jar to cook the chicken. Why throw away free flavour??
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce for Chicken
Sun dried tomatoes don’t feature as much anymore as they should. Back in the 80’s they were ALL THE RAGE!
But they never went out of fashion in my world. Throw a small amount into almost any meal and you get a wonderful burst of extra flavour. I use them to make a super quick 12 Minutes Sun Dried Tomato Couscous Salad, in creamy chicken pasta, I stuff ’em inside chicken breast and Chicken Meatloaf and I use then for pasta salads.
The added bonus is the oil that the sun dried tomatoes are marinated in. Free flavour! Using the oil from the jar to cook the chicken really drives home the sun dried tomato flavour in the overall dish.
I never toss out the oil that olives and other antipasto things come in. I recycle them – either cook with it, or I use it to marinate cubes of feta or char grilled vegetables. Have to you ever tried that? Super thrifty – and extra flavour!
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce ingredients
Here’s what you need for the creamy sun dried tomato sauce. I’ve used chicken thighs here, but it’s just as great made with chicken breast.
Quick dinner – 15 Minutes!
If you have a skillet large enough to cook all the chicken in one batch, then you’ll get this on the table in around 15 minutes. Chicken thighs should take around 6 -7 minutes to cook, and the creamy sun dried tomato sauce takes about 5 minutes.
I usually prep the sauce ingredients which the chicken is browning, so there’s really not much extra prep time.
Serve this with mashed potato OR, to make this a sensational low carb meal, with Creamy Mashed Cauliflower. It’s also great with pasta, or even just some crusty bread, dinner rolls or even focaccia to mop up the sauce! – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 750g / 1.5lb chicken thighs OR chicken breast , skinless and boneless
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes , strips, drained of oil (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp oil from sun dried tomatoes jar (Note 1)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine (sub chicken broth)
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) chicken broth/stock , low sodium
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) thickened / heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (30g) parmesan, very finely shredded (Note 2)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (Note 3)
- 1 cup basil leaves , packed (optional)
- Breast: Cut chicken in half horiztonally to form 2 thin steaks.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil from sun dried tomat jar in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides - 6 minutes total for thigh or 4 minutes for breast. Remove onto a plate, keep warm.
- Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds until light golden.
- Add wine. Bring to simmer and scrape the bottom of the skillet to mix all the brown bits into the wine.
- Let the wine simmer for 1 minute or so until the smell of alcohol is gone which means it has evaporated.
- Mix in mustard, then add the chicken broth, cream, parmesan and sun dried tomatoes.
- Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened. Stir regularly to dissolve parmesan cheese.
- Taste sauce and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir through basil leaves, then return chicken into pan. Spoon sauce over and simmer 1 minute.
- Serve immediately! Great served over mashed potato, Creamy Mashed Cauliflower or pasta. Or serve with bread on the side to mop up sauce!
Originally published July 2015, updated July 2019 with new photos, new video, new process photos, new writing. And the recipe has been spruced up a wee bit too!
Life of Dozer
I went to the loo, came back and he’d made himself at home on MY cashmere blanket!