Creamy Mashed Cauliflower is often touted as a low carb alternative to mashed potato, but it’s actually a delicious side dish in its own right that regularly makes an appearance at up market bistros and fine dining restaurants! Serve Cauliflower Mash with everything from your favourite Steak to Roast Chicken, Schnitzel to Sausages with Gravy.
It’s so tasty, you’ll want to eat it straight out of the pot!
Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
Mashed Cauliflower made well is seriously tasty in its own right, not just the low carb cousin of rich, buttery mashed potato. Nowadays, it’s borderline “trendy”. I see it regularly on plates served up by up market bistros and fine dining restaurants!
So here’s how I make Cauliflower Mash taste as good as mashed potato – without using an entire block of butter! 😂
How to cook cauliflower to taste like mashed potato
The secret to make cauliflower taste like mashed potato is the flavourings. You can’t just boil up a big pot of cauliflower and mash it!
Here’s what you need. There are options – to make it dairy free, vegan (sour cream/cream cheese is optional), and also what you’ve got on hand or your personal preferences.
TIP: Make sure the cauliflower is cooked until soft, to ensure it purees smooth. Getting hard little rice-like bits in your cauliflower mash is not very pleasant!
Creamy – or chunky!
Make your Cauliflower Mash smooth and creamy, as I have done, or chunkier if that’s your preference. My preference is smooth because it makes it seem richer and hence more like mashed potato. If it’s chunky, you get juicy bits of cauliflower – which sort of reminds you that you’re eating cauliflower instead of creamy mashed potato!
What to serve with Cauliflower Mashed Potato
Serve Cauliflower Mashed Potato with anything that you’d ordinarily serve with mashed potato – and devour without guilt! Here are a few ideas:
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast – LOW CARB!
Garlic Chicken Thighs, Sticky Baked Chicken Thighs or juicy Marinated Chicken Breast
Pork Tenderloin with Honey Garlic Sauce or Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling
Steak with Creamy Peppercorn Sauce or Garlic Thyme Butter Basted Steak
And that’s just the tip fo the iceberg. Have a browse of my Dinner recipes for more ideas!
~ Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 kg / 2lb cauliflower florets (Note 1)
- 2 garlic cloves , peeled, whole
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (25g) parmesan cheese , shredded
- 1/4 cup (55g) sour cream , optional
- 1 - 3 tbsp cooking water
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Melted butter, parsley, pepper
- Cut the larger florets in half or quarter so they're all about the same size.
- Add cauliflower and garlic into a large pot of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until very soft.
- Scoop out a mug of cooking water.
- Drain well, then transfer to food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients, starting with no water, blitz until smooth. (Use handheld blender stick if you don't have food processor)
- Use reserved cooking water to adjust consistency to taste and help puree smooth.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Transfer to serving bowl, drizzle with melted butter and garnish with parsley if desired.
- Serve as a side with anything that you'd usually serve with mashed potato!
- Butter - sub with extra virgin or ordinary olive oil
- Parmesan - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Vegeta or vegetable stock powder (for "umami" flavour that parmesan provides)
- Sour Cream - 60g / 2oz cream cheese
- Cooking water - milk (any dairy or dairy free)
Life of Dozer
Sweet little puppy golden retriever, recent addition to the gang of Golden Retrievers that Dozer runs with! I thought I’d try her on for size…. and I think she looks great on me!
Also thought Dozer might get a little jealous….but…
….. no. There was no sign of jealousy at all. 🙄
Leave a Comment