The hero of this Chinese Chicken Salad is the Asian Dressing and crunchy noodles. It can make any bowl of fresh greens devilishly moreish! Made with cabbage, carrots, green onions and chicken, finished with sesame seeds, this is terrific for packed lunches as it keeps well for days!
CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD – MY MOST MADE ASIAN SALAD!
This is my most made faux Asian salad. It’s “faux” because it’s in no way authentic Chinese and that’s totally ok.
I love it anyway because it’s so delish, and it’s a good way to make me inhale large volumes of fresh greens.
THE ASIAN SALAD DRESSING
The Asian salad dressing I use in this salad is based on a recipe by David Chang of Momofuku. It’s made with all manner of Asiany ingredients – soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger – but there’s plenty of flex here which I’ve jotted down in the recipe notes.
I love the fresh hit of ginger and garlic in the dressing but I quite often make this salad using my standby simple Asian Sesame Dressing. Made with just soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, oil and sugar, it keeps for days, weeks even. It would be unusual if I didn’t have a jar of this lurking in the dark depths of my fridge at all times!
I think the thing that really seals the deal for me about this Chinese Chicken Salad are the crunchy noodles. I just use Chang’s Fried Noodles which are often on sale at the supermarket for around $1. Any brand will do – the thin ones I’ve used or even the wider ones. Just as long as they’re crunchy!! – Nagi x
PS This is a terrific do-ahead meal. The chopped veggies stay fresh for days in the fridge – I’ve kept them for 5 days in an airtight container – and shredded chicken can be frozen. The only thing to add fresh is the ginger and garlic in the dressing.
MORE ASIAN SALADS
- Asian Salmon Salad
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Bowls
- Chinese Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Thai Beef Salad
- Thai Chicken Salad
- Satay Chicken Noodle Salad
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Chinese Chicken Salad
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce (Note 1)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar (aka rice wine vinegar, or use cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (toasted)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or canola or any other neutral flavored oil)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger , grated or very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups Chinese cabbage (Nappa Cabbage), finely shredded (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 cups red cabbage , finely shredded
- 1 cup carrot , finely julienned (see video)
- 2 cups chicken , shredded
- 1/2 cup shallots / scallions , finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 to 1 cup crunchy noodles (I use Chang's) (Note 3)
- 1 - 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Combine the Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake. Set aside for 10 minutes or so for the flavours to meld.
- Place the Salad ingredients together in a large bowl along with half the crunchy noodles. Drizzle over dressing then toss. (Note 4)
- Divide between serving bowls. Top with more crunchy noodles and a good sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve immediately!
LIFE OF DOZER
He wasn’t bothered by the burs. Unlike me. Prickly legs!!!
Leave a Comment