Surprise yourself with how creamy a creamy broccoli soup can be (made without cream!). Super healthy with only 165 calories per serving, this makes a wonderful light meal or lunch that takes only 15 minutes to make. Croutons are not optional!
I’ve made cauliflower soup plenty of times, but this is the first time I attempted broccoli soup. It really is just like the consistency of cauliflower soup, really creamy (but not a drop of cream in site!) but being so green I just feel like it’s better for my insides – full of nutrition!
With a hand held blender stick, this is so quick to make – on the table in 15 minutes. Croutons are not option, you must!
More fabulous Broccoli recipes
- Browse all Broccoli Recipes
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Creamy Healthy Broccoli Soup
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 potato , peeled and roughly chopped into cubes about 1.5cm / 1/2" cubes
- 1 white or brown onion , roughly diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups / 500 ml vegetable stock / broth
- 1 cup / 250 ml milk (low fat, cow or soy)
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml water
- Salt and pepper
- Cut / break broccoli into florets into pieces about half the size of a golf ball. Roughly cut most of the stem, other than the main stem, into thumb size pieces. Discard the main stem, or keep for another use.
- Place all ingredients except milk, salt and pepper in pot, put on lid, bring to boil then turn down heat to medium and let it rapidly simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, add milk, bring back to boil, then remove from heat and whizz with hand held blender.
- You can thicken the soup by cooking it for longer on the stove on a medium low heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve with croutons if desired.
- Cut stale bread into cubes, lightly spray with olive oil, spread on baking stray and bake for 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt then top on soup.
- Nutrition per serving.
Leave a Comment