Here’s a broccoli recipe that’s a little different to the usual – Broccoli Chicken Fritters! The combination of juicy chicken pieces and tender broccoli inside crispy golden fritters is seriously delicious.
Flavoured with garlic and parmesan, these fritters are a tasty meal or snack, or mini burgers. There’s a whole giant head of broccoli hidden in these!!
Broccoli Chicken Fritters
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again (and will probably keep saying it until the end of time) – you can fritter anything! And today, we’re frittering broccoli and chicken.
Have you ever made fritters with chopped chicken before? I think most people think of using ground/mince meat for things in patty and fritter form, like these Chicken Patties.
Using chopped chicken works a treat – I love how it makes the fritters nice and meaty. Thicker than usual fritters, like my favourite zucchini fritters.
BONUS: Clean hands. ??
EXTRA BONUS: Hidden greens to the max. There’s an entire head of broccoli in this recipe!
I love how these Broccoli Chicken Fritters are made with just enough batter to hold them together so they’re quite meaty, rather than pancake-like. Not that I don’t love pancakes, but these are intended to be a savoury meal, high in protein and veg!
What you need
Not very much! If you don’t have parmesan, feel free to use a shredded cheese. You don’t get quite the same crispy crust all over, but you’ll get nice crispy edges and more juicy cheesiness inside.
How to make chicken fritters
Less mess and faster to make than Chicken Broccoli Patties made with ground chicken (mince), just steam or boil broccoli, chop it, then mix up the fritter batter in a bowl.
The nice thing with this recipe is that we don’t need to form patties with our hands – just scoop, dollop and pat.
If you’ve got an ice cream scoop, you’ll feel extra smug – it’s so handy to handle the batter for all things fritter / pancakes / pikelets / muffins!
If you serve these hot off the stove, you don’t really even need a sauce because they are quite juicy inside, which sounds like a weird way to describe fritters I know.
But I’m not one to pass up an opportunity for something to dunk/dip/dollop so in this case, I’ve opted for what I simply call a Pink Sauce which is nothing more than sour cream or yogurt + ketchup (the pink and the flavour).
Make these Broccoli Chicken Fritters as a meal, pass them around as a snack. Or stuff them in little rolls and make sliders with some lettuce and tomato with a nice smear of ketchup or mayonnaise to make mini Broccoli Chicken Burgers. – Nagi x
PS In case you too are overloaded with broccoli, have a peek at all my Broccoli recipes!
Watch how to make it
Broccoli Chicken Fritters
- 1 large head broccoli , cut into florets
- 500g / 1lb chicken breast or thigh , cut into 0.8cm / 1/3" pieces
- 1/2 cup (75g) flour (any type)
- 1/2 cup (50g) parmesan cheese , grated or shredded
- 2 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 - 4 tbsp olive oil
Pink Sauce - mix:
- 2/3 cup (165g) sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- Squeeze of lemon , plus more for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 100C/210F.
- Steam broccoli until tender, then roughly chop. (Note 1)
- Add broccoli and remaining Fritter ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add enough oil in skillet to cover base. Heat to medium high.
- Dollop 1/4 cup mixture into skillet, then pat down. (Note 2)
- Cook 2.5 minutes until deep golden, then flip and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to rack, keep warm in oven.
- Serve with Pink Sauce!
More fritters and fritter-like things
- Crispy Zucchini Fritters and Greek Zucchini Tots (Mini Fritters)
- Broccoli Fritters
- Cheesy Chicken Patties with Broccoli – baked!
- Good ole’ Aussie Rissoles (with hidden veg)
- Salmon Patties – fresh or canned salmon
- McDonald’s copycat Sausage Patties
And more chicken broccoli recipes
Life of Dozer
More pics from the mini break to Rick Stein’s Bannisters in Port Stephens last week, a couple of hours north of Sydney. The moment I found out it was a dog friendly hotel, I booked immediately for a short stay. Dozer + Rick Stein restaurant at a lovely waterside hotel? My idea of a perfect holiday. I will be going back very soon!