No creaming butter, no electric mixers. All you need is a bowl, a wooden spoon and 10 minutes prep to make these ridiculously easy Raspberry Bars. From scratch – no packet mixes used in my kitchen!
These Raspberry Bars have an oatmeal biscuit base, a layer of raspberry jam, then topped with an oatmeal crumble using the same mix as the base. I used raspberry but you can use any jam you want!
THE EASIEST EVER RASPBERRY JAM BARS!!
Australian’s have a thing about calling recipes “Best Ever”. Like “Best Ever Chocolate Cake”. If I ever come across a recipe called “Best Ever” something, I know it’s by an Australian!
So calling these “Easiest Ever” Raspberry Jam Bars instead of just Easy Raspberry Bars just slipped out without thinking. I was going to correct it, but then I decided not to. Because I really do think these are the Easiest Ever Raspberry Bars. Because this is not made the usual way Raspberry Bars are made. 🙂
Here’s why these are so easy – all other Raspberry Bar recipes I have seen require softened butter to be creamed using a stand mixer or handheld electric beater or it’s made like shortbread by rubbing / cutting butter into the flour.
My recipe is made with melted butter with egg used to slightly soften and bind the mixture (most raspberry bar recipes do not use egg), and the end result is very similar to the biscuit base made using the traditional method The biscuit base of the traditional method is slightly softer, slightly more shortbread like. But honestly, for the convenience, it is a very small compromise to me!
Confession time: I ran out of RASPBERRY JAM!!! I ran out of strawberry jam too, so I had to make this with half raspberry and half blueberry jam! ?
This really might be one of the fastest bars ever to make. Well, these 5 Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars are a hot contender for the World’s Speediest Bars too. 🙂
I’m hoping one of my taste testers will be reading this post about what they think of these easy Raspberry Bars! I’ve made them about 5 times in the last week, tweaking and improving and comparing to the traditional way of making Raspberry Bars!! – Nagi x
PS Those caramelised bits along the edges are the BEST! Like a chewy candy!!
Easiest Ever Raspberry Jam Bars
- 125 g / 1 stick unsalted butter , melted
- 1 1/2 cups / 225g plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 cups / 135g rolled oats (traditional oats, not quick, instant or steel cut)
- 1/2 cup / 110g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raspberry jam (or other flavour of choice)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350 (fan forced). (Note 1)
- Spray a 20cm/9" square tin with oil and line with baking/parchment paper with overhang (so it can be lifted out once cooked).
- Mix together butter, flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt until you can no longer see white bits of flour. Add egg and mix.
- Place 2 1/2 cups of the mixture in the tin and press into base. Spread with jam (Note 2), then use your hands to crumble the remaining mixture over the top (Note 3).
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the top is deep golden. Remove and allow to cool in the tin before lifting out of the tin using the baking paper.
- Cut into squares. Serve at room temperature. Store in airtight container.
Life of Dozer – Suspiciously sniffing a runaway raspberry, disappointed he didn’t get to taste test the Raspberry Bars!