Here’s a super quick Sautéed Spinach that will pair beautifully with most proteins. It takes mere minutes to cook, and is a great way to incorporate a vast volume of greens into a meal without even realising it. And the garlic flavour is fabulous!
SAUTEED SPINACH – A QUICK HEALTHY SIDE
This is a quick vegetable side that I make ALOT so it’s high time I shared. It’s been pictured on the side of many main dishes that I’ve shared over the years – usually because I’m scrambling for something quick to put on the side to complete a photo!
And beyond using this Sautéed Spinach as a prop for photos, this is something that frequently appears in my real life day-to-day cooking for the very reason that it’s so quick with the added bonus that it’s an easy way to eat a huge mound of greens with just a few bites because spinach wilts to much when it’s cooked!
SPINACH NUTRITION – it’s GOOD for you!
Spinach is low in calories but rich in iron and vitamins C and A, plus it’s a really good source of dietary fibre. It also contains protein (hello Popeye!), iron, vitamins and minerals. It’s good for your skin, hair and bone health, and studies have shown that it can lower the risk of cancer.
So don’t we love how easy it is to eat LOADS without even realising it! This recipe calls for two bunches of spinach and initially, it fills the entire skillet. But in just a couple of minutes to wilts down by almost 80%.
This photo only shows one of the bunches (don’t ask me why I didn’t snap a photo of both!)
Because I like my spinach just wilted, rather than cooked so it’s very limp, I prefer to cut the leafy part from the stems because the stems take longer to cook. But if you don’t mind cooking your spinach longer, feel free to keep some of the stems.
This Garlic Sautéed Spinach was pictured on the side of the Prime Rib recipe I shared a few weeks ago (pictured below) and a few readers have requested I share it – so here it is! It’s the sort of side that’s ideal for any meaty mains because it’s quite light and fresh, and a good way to pack in a solid hit of greens in just a few bites! – Nagi x
Garlic Sautéed Spinach
- 2 bunches spinach (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Trim the stem from the leaves, then wash the leaves very well (spinach often holds a lot of dirt).
- Shake off excess water but do not dry (water droplets helps steam-cook the spinach).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook for 20 seconds until it becomes light golden and smells amazing.
- Add spinach, then use tongs or 2 wooden spoons to toss until the spinach wilts - about 2 minutes. I like mine just wilted.
- Remove from heat immediately and sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss once more.
- Transfer to serving platter and serve.
LIFE OF DOZER
Patiently waiting for me to finish snapping pics and get on with playing!