Chicken Stroganoff is everything you know and love about Beef Stroganoff… except it’s made with chicken! Golden seared chicken thighs or breast smothered in a sour cream Stroganoff Sauce, this is a quick dinner you can get on the table in 20 minutes.
And don’t worry….this Chicken Stroganoff recipe makes PLENTY of sauce!!
Beef Stroganoff is a retro classic we’ll love forever. However, a really great Beef Stroganoff does involve taking the time to slice the beef super thinly, as well as some deftness to ensure the beef is seared to perfection yet still juicy on the inside.
Chicken Stroganoff, on the other hand, requires considerably less effort.
Especially when you do it my way, searing whole pieces of boneless chicken thighs not only because it means less prep (ie no chopping), but also because by cooking whole chicken thighs, you can brown them really beautifully.
Colour = flavour, both ON the chicken and IN the sauce (because the brown bits left in the pan form the flavour base for the Stroganoff Sauce).
Win win win!
How to make it
As mentioned above, I like making this using whole skinless, boneless chicken thighs so they can be cooked long enough to brown them nicely. You could use bite size pieces instead but you can’t get as much colour on them.
I just lightly season them with garlic power, salt and pepper. We don’t need a ton of flavour on the chicken because this recipe is really all about the Stroganoff Sauce!
And yes you can make this with chicken breast! I prefer thigh because it’s juicier, but breast and tenderloin will work just fine.
The thing that makes this Stroganoff Sauce and not just any generic mushroom gravy is the sour cream and mustard. These are used for flavour, colour (makes the gravy paler) and thickener. Though this sour cream gravy is also thickened with flour, like traditional gravies.
Be sure to brown the mushrooms well which, combined with the fond* left in the pan from searing the chicken, makes a flavour base for a seriously good Stroganoff Sauce!
* “Fond” is the brown stuff left in the pan after you sear things. Not just proteins, even vegetables. For example, in this Mushroom Rice, the rice colour and flavour predominantly comes from the fond from browning the mushrooms.
What to serve with Stroganoff
Stroganoff is most commonly served with noodles or pasta, but mashed potato, polenta or anything that’s suitable to slop up all that fabulous Stroganoff Sauce is ideal.
For a low carb alternative, try Cauliflower Mash or Cauliflower Rice.
It could also be served in a bowl with bread to mop up all the sauce. *Her eyes light up at this thought that just dawned on her!* Try these homemade No Knead Rolls one day – they would be amazing with this Chicken Stroganoff!
For things on the side, try:
A crunchy garden salad or steamed greens with Italian Dressing, Balsamic or French Vinaigrette
Kale Salad (skip the quinoa in the recipe)
Iceberg Lettuce Dill Salad (terrific fresh salad)
A big, fat, juicy Greek Salad
Also – Stroganoff lovers! Don’t miss classic Beef Stroganoff and Slow Cooked Stroganoff with ultra tender fall apart beef!
– Nagi x
CHICKEN STROGANOFF RECIPE
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 600g / 1.2 lb chicken thighs (4 - 5) , boneless skinless (or breast or tenderloin, Note 1)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 300g / 10oz mushrooms , sliced (not too thin)
- 40g / 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour (Note 2)
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth/stock , salt reduced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup (150g) sour cream (or yogurt)
- 250 - 300 g / 8 - 10 oz pasta or egg noodles of choice (Note 3)
- Chopped parsley or chives , for garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in skillet smooth side down.
- Press down lightly with with spatula. Cook for 4 minutes until golden.
- Turn and press lightly with spatula. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken onto a plate.
- Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter, melt. Then add onions, cook for 1 minute, then add mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off (this is flavour!).
- Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated, add remaining broth.
- Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until incorporated (don't worry if it looks split, sour cream will "melt" as it heats).
- Bring to simmer ,then reduce heat to medium low. Once it thickens to the consistency of pouring cream (3 minutes), adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back in (including plate juices). Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove.
- Serve over pasta or egg noodles, sprinkled with parsley or chives if desired.
More quick Chicken Thigh recipes
These are all boneless chicken thigh recipes that don’t require any marinating time.
Garlic Chicken Thighs – crispy surface, fabulous garlic flavour
Sticky Baked Chicken Thighs – country style sauce, pantry staples!
One Pot Chinese Chicken and “Fried Rice” – it’s fried rice and Chinese chicken, all made in one pot
Honey Garlic Chicken – the 5 ingredient sauce is outrageously good!
Oven Baked Chicken Breast – dry rubbed then baked, this recipe works 100% perfectly with thigh as well
LIFE OF DOZER
How is one supposed to drive with this THING blocking my rear vision???
Leave a Comment