A homemade Cream of Chicken Soup is completely and utterly incomparable to the canned stuff. It’s silky and thick, with the subtle fragrance of thyme, and it tastes real.
Simple to make, this recipe is sure to become a favourite you’ll make over and over again!
Cream of Chicken Soup recipe
Growing up, I was “deprived” of canned soup. And such is the case when you’re a kid that you always want what you can’t have.
I got sent to school with bento boxes and eyed off my friends’ peanut butter sandwiches with jealousy. I looked forward to sleepovers, not only because of the excitement of staying at a friends’ place, but because I got to try food that my mother would never make.
Such as – soup from a can. I can’t believe how much I used to love that stuff!
(I also can’t believe that I used to be embarrassed being sent to school with bento boxes. It’s all the rage nowadays!)
At some point, I grew up, learned how to cook, found and made a homemade cream of chicken recipe.
And today, I shake my head, wondering how on earth I used to think canned soup was so delish.
Homemade cream of chicken soup is SO GOOD. If you like canned cream of chicken soup or those instant cup-a-soup packets, you are going to LOVE this!
This cream of chicken soup recipe is very straight forward. Thick, creamy, and it tastes real. The canned stuff is no comparison!
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
This recipe is an updated version of a recipe I posted way back when I started RecipeTin Eats. The previous recipe was written starting with a homemade condensed cream of chicken soup – thick and gloopy like Campbell’s soup in a can.
I went through a phase when I made homemade condensed soup which I would then keep for a few days then later use to make a soup or casserole. However, I found that I haven’t made condensed soup in years, mainly because it can only be kept for a few days so it kind of defeats the purpose of that recipe. But in case you want it, I’ve kept it – click here to get the recipe for the homemade Cream of Chicken Soup!
This is what it looks like. I told you – gloopy!!
With just 395 calories for a meal size bowl, this cream of chicken soup recipe is healthier than most creamy soups because it’s made without cream. It’s far healthier than canned – lower in sodium, preservative free and other artificial additives.
And you can tell the difference with just one spoonful. It tastes so much better than canned, it’s almost a joke!
I know I’ve included croutons here, but nobody would ever say no to a side of crusty bread for dunking! Here are some of my favourites.
I use this cream of chicken soup recipe as a base for making more fully loaded soups, filled out with noodles or rice, and more veggies. Such as this Cream of Vegetable Soup with Noodles.
But for this one, I wanted to share the “classic” version, like what you get out of the can. So it’s light on the veggies and chicken – but what you do see is the real deal, nice and fresh!
I really think you’ll love this. The subtle fragrance from the thyme is really lovely, I think that’s what seals the deal for me. 🙂
Enjoy! – Nagi xx
Cream of Chicken Soup recipe
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe video! (Not my hands, I was just the “director”, videographer, editor, gofer, lighting person, stylist, script writer, recipe maker. 😉 The hands will be back on Friday for a weekend treat I’m super excited about! )
PS Also, I forgot celery when filming. Oops.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g / 3.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup / 75 g flour
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- ½ small brown onion , finely chopped
- 1 small carrot , diced
- 1/2 red capsicum/bell pepper , finely chopped
- 1 small celery stick , diced
- 2 cups / 500 ml chicken stock / broth , preferably low sodium
- 3 cups / 750 ml milk , any fat %
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp EACH garlic powder , onion powder, dried thyme, black pepper (“Spices”)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cooked chicken , diced or shredded
- 2 slices white bread , cut into cubes
- Olive oil spray
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until partly translucent but not browned.
- Add carrots, celery and capsicum, cook for 1 minute to soften.
- Add butter and melt. Then add flour and mix until incorporated, and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add broth, mix until flour is incorporated, then add milk. Mix to combine, then add salt, Spices, chicken and peas.
- Bring to simmer, mixing occasionally to stop bottom of sticking. As it heats, it will thicken – about 4 to 5 minutes. Don’t let it bubble.
- Once thickened to your taste, adjust salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with croutons and fresh thyme if desired.
- Croutons: Spray croutons generously with oil, sprinkle with salt, then bake for 5 minutes at 180C/350F or until golden and crunchy.
And more creamy cream-less soups
Browse all Soups
LIFE OF DOZER
Dozer wants highlights too!
(Either that, or he’s crawling over me in a mad panic trying to escape 😈)
PS Yes, I live in a very dog friendly neighbourhood!