This baked Honey Mustard Chicken is one of those dishes that is easy enough for midweek but fancy enough for company. A baked chicken recipe with potatoes that all made in one pan and takes a mere 15 minutes of active effort. The sauce is incredible. It really is.
I love chicken recipes cooked in the oven with some sauce, like this recipe and my favourite Italian Baked Chicken and Potatoes that comes with an Italian pasta sauce. Cosy food that’s simple to prepare!
Honey Mustard Chicken
Talk about a fully loaded one pan meal! There is serious flavour going on here. A honey mustard sauce is awesome as it is. But then you add the juices from the chicken that mixes in while it bakes and it takes it up a notch. THEN it’s also got bacon mixed into it, working it’s magic flavours into the sauce while the chicken bakes to golden perfect.
And add golden brown roasted potatoes….and then you have one seriously incredible one-pan meal!!
Honey Mustard Sauce for baked chicken
The hero of this recipe is the sauce, made with just a few ingredients that totally transforms once baked:
- White wine – used to deglaze the pan, adds terrific extra depth of flavour to the sauce
- Milk or cream
- Thyme, salt and pepper
The key ingredient in this sauce is – shock horror – mustard. It is the flavour as well as the thickener. I add honey to balance out the flavour because otherwise it is quite tart.
I use white wine for the sauce, but you can substitute with chicken broth. I’ve added directions in the notes for how to do this. I recommend adding a touch of vinegar + sugar so it more closely resembles the flavour of the wine.
Honestly, check out this sauce!! It’s thick and luscious and there’s PLENTY of it!!
There is one key difference in the way I make this chicken compared to other baked chicken dishes I make. The trick is for the chicken to bake to a beautiful golden brown in the same time the potatoes do. If you sear the chicken too much in the pan before baking it, then the chicken skin will brown faster than the potatoes. So for this dish, the chicken skin is only lightly browned on a low heat which allows the fat to “melt” (render out) which is discarded before baking the chicken with the sauce.
People often talk about how a sauce is SO GOOD that you want to lick the plate. Well, I’ll tell you a secret….I did lick the plate. Are you horrified? Or have you gotten used to how shameless I can be? 😉
PS I have made this Honey Mustard Chicken with other vegetables squeezed in too! Like carrots and swedes. Anything that will roast in the baking time is perfect. I don’t recommend watery vegetables though as they might ruin the sauce!!
More recipes made using Honey Mustard Sauce
- Honey Mustard Chicken – chicken cooked on the stove, simmered in a honey mustard sauce
- Honey Mustard Drumsticks – tossed in a simple honey mustard sauce and baked until sticky
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing – fantastic used with leafy salads or more hearty salads like roasted potato salad
Honey Mustard Baked Chicken with Potatoes & Bacon
- 2 lb / 1kg potatoes , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 - 2 1/2 lb / 1 - 1.25 kg chicken thighs (5 pieces), skin on and bone in (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
- 7 oz / 200g bacon , diced, separated
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion , finely diced (brown, white or yellow)
- 3/4 cup white wine (Note 2)
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried thyme (or 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves)
- 2 tbsp milk or cream (I used milk. This is just for colour)
- 1/3 cup water (Note 3)
- Fresh thyme leaves or finely chopped parsley
- Cook potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet / frypan over medium high heat. Add HALF the bacon and cook until lightly browned. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Turn the stove down to medium. Add the chicken into the pan, skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes or until very lightly browned and chicken fat has "melted" into the pan. Turn the chicken over and cook for 2 minutes, then remove chicken onto a plate.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of the fat in the pan over the potatoes, then pour off and discard the rest. Return the pan to the stove.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is lightly browned and translucent - about 2 minutes.
- Add wine into the pan and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan to mix in with the sauce. Bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes or so, or until you can no longer smell alcohol fumes.
- Add the remaining Mustard Sauce ingredients and cooked bacon and stir to combine. Then add the chicken and potatoes back into the pan, sprinkle over remaining bacon.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes (no cover), or until chicken and potatoes are golden brown.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving, garnished with fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley, if desired.
Save this Baked Honey Mustard Chicken to your “ONE POT” Pinterest Board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest so you can see all the delicious recipes I’m pinning!