This dip is a total spin out. It looks like pizza, tastes like pizza – but it’s a DIP. You will blow your entire calorie budget for a whole week with this. Ask my sister. She came round for a taste test, inhaled about 1/3 of the entire dip before she finally collapsed on the sofa, unable to move for hours. True story. Classiness runs in the family.
“The first bite will really throw you off balance because it’s a flavour that is so familiar and yet, it is in dip form!”
Other than the base which is made with a cream cheese mixture instead of a pizza crust, everything else that goes into this dip is what you would put on a pizza, including the pizza sauce. So when I say that this tastes like pizza, it really truly does. The first bite will throw you off balance because it’s a flavour that is so familiar to you and yet, it is in dip form. It really is a total spin out!
I don’t claim this as my original idea. Pizza dip has been done by others. And this is my take on it. Many use a base made with cream cheese and mayonnaise which I think is too heavy and oily. There is enough calories in this without adding mayo! So I lighten it up somewhat by mixing cream cheese with sour cream.
Then you top the cream cheese base like you would a pizza. Which means you can go wild and let your inner-pizza-demon lash out. I kept it quite traditional and used mushrooms, onion and lots of pepperoni (chopped up as well as slices on top of the cheese). But I can see myself getting creative, adding other pizza toppings like anchovies, olives, prosciutto, maybe even blue cheese (that would be INSANE!).
You could serve this with corn chips, but one of the things that really makes this taste like pizza is serving it with toasted bread rubbed with garlic because this is what tastes like the base of a pizza.
Have you seen enough stretchy cheese yet to convince you that you need to run to the kitchen and make this now? Maybe just one more – here you go!
- 8 oz / 250g cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream (light or full fat)
- 1 cup pizza sauce (see notes for fast homemade pizza sauce recipe)
- 1/2 cup pepperoni , roughly diced
- 1/3 cup onion , diced (brown, white, yellow or red)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms , roughly diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese , grated
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese , grated (or any other melting cheese with flavour) (see notes)
- 12 slices pepperoni
- 2 french sticks , cut into slices
- 2 cloves garlic , halved (skin on)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Heat a non stick fry pan over high heat.
Add the diced pepperoni and fry for 1 minute until it starts to brown.
Then add the onions and sauté for 1 minute. Then add the mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds.
Remove onion mixture from the fry pan and place onto a plate with a paper towel (to drain the excess fat).
Combine the Base ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and combined.
Spread the Base in a 20 cm / 8 inch base with a 24 cm / 9 inch rim pie dish.
Spread the pizza sauce over the Base, then sprinkle with the onion mixture.
Sprinkle over the tasty cheese, then the mozzarella cheese.
Place sliced pepperoni over the cheese.
Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Check it at 15 minutes.
Serve immediately with Garlic Toast.
Spread french stick slices on 2 baking trays (or one very large one).
Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.
Remove from oven and rub each piece lightly with the cut side of the garlic.
1. Quick Pizza Sauce - combine the following in a small saucepan: 1 1/2 cups tomato passata (tomato puree), 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste), 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, black pepper. Bring to simmer over medium heat then lower heat to low. Let simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. It will reduce to 1 cup. Use as per recipe directions.
No Cook Fast Pizza Sauce - combine the following in a bowl: 1/2 cup tomato paste, 1/2 cup tomato passata (tomato puree), 1 garlic clove (minced), 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp dried oregano. 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste) and black pepper. Mix until combined. Use as per recipe directions.
2. The purpose of the tasty cheese is to add salt and flavour to the cheesy topping because Mozzarella cheese does not have a strong flavour and also is low in salt.
3. I usually bake the Garlic Toast in the oven while I am preparing the dip (even while the oven is still coming to temperature). Then I remove it and rub with garlic, pile them all onto one baking tray and pop it back into the oven just before the dip is ready to rewarm the bread. It reheats very well and reinvigorates the garlic flavour.
4. Nutrition assumes 12 servings