My favourite iceberg lettuce salad ever! The dill and coriander/cilantro is a unique herb pairing with iceberg lettuce that makes this really memorable. It’s so refreshing and light, and the simple dressing is absolutely smack bang perfect with this salad. Everyone I’ve made this for LOVES it!
My friend JP is the Queen of Salads. When she puts on a summer lunch, she makes the most amazing spread of salads. So good that you don’t even think twice there’s no big slab of meat, or piles of carbs. Her salads are always interesting, satisfying, perfectly dressed and never, ever boring.
If all salads in this world were as good as hers, I could swear off meat and carbs forever.
Well! There’s a blatant lie. It sounded good. But it’s an outright fib. 😉
When it comes to iceberg lettuce, I think many people think of stock-standard green salads. Add some tomato, cucumbers and a classic French or Italian dressing.
That this salad is quite different is the very reason why I love it so much. I really think it’s the herbs that makes all the difference. I had never thought of combining dill and coriander with iceberg lettuce before, but I don’t know why because I love those two herbs together – such as in this Pearl Couscous Salad and Mediterranean Brown Rice Salad.
PS Also love JP’s tip to soften the herbs by drizzling over some of the dressing and setting aside for 20 minutes. This also infuses more of the herby flavour into the dressing too.
She adds a handful of red cabbage for colour and sliced snow peas for crunch. It’s a delightful sight, the fresh crisp iceberg lettuce and the pops of colour. And it tastes SO GOOD!
I’m sharing this Iceberg Lettuce Dill Salad recipe today because it is part of my 2016 Christmas Menu! This years’ Christmas menu is a seafood one with a Parmesan Crusted Side of Salmon as the centrepiece. So this salad is an absolute perfect match.
No more boring Iceberg Lettuce Salads! Try this once, and I think you’ll be as addicted as I am! – Nagi x
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
JP's Iceberg Lettuce Dill Salad
- 8 cups iceberg lettuce , chopped or torn into bite size pieces
- Handful of finely sliced red cabbage (just for a bit of colour)
- 6 snow peas , diagonally sliced (adds crunch to the salad)
- 3/4 cup dill , lightly packed
- 3/4 cup coriander/cilantro , lightly packed
- 1/2 eschalot / french onion (US: shallots), finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Verjuice (Note 1)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or use lemon infused and skip the zest)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp sugar (white)
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard powder
- Salt and pepper
- Mix Dressing together in screw top jar and shake.
- Mix eschalot and herbs together in the salad bowl. Drizzle with 1/3 of dressing about 20 mins before serving.
- Lay rest of salad ingredients on top.
- Just before serving, add rest of dressing and toss
Leave a Comment