Did you know you can make ahead mashed potatoes? It’s a restaurant trick!
Whenever you order a dish with mashed potatoes at a restaurant, did you ever wonder whether they peeled, boiled and mashed the potatoes to order? No they don’t!
Restaurants prepare the potatoes ahead by boiling and mashing just the potato, then just before serving, it is mixed into boiling cream (or milk or even broth or a combination thereof) to reheat it and make it nice and creamy.
When it comes to ridiculously creamy restaurant style mashed potatoes, there’s not much to it. The secret is just loads of cream and butter. The creamier the mashed potato, the more cream and butter it has in it!
Here’s another little tip for you – if your pot is a bit small and there is risk of the bubble overflowing, just place a wooden spoon across the top. No more overflow!
Mashed potatoes are a “must have” for special occasion feasts like Thanksgiving and Christmas. So having this make-ahead trick on hand is very useful! – Nagi x
PS Use any leftovers to make mashed potato cakes!
Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes (Restaurant Trick)
- 2 lb / 1 kg starchy potatoes (Note 1)
- 1 cup / 250 ml cream , half and half or milk (Note 2)
- 60g / 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Chives , finely chopped
- Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, then add the potatoes. Cook for 20 minutes until soft and starting to fall apart.
- Drain then tip back into the pot placed over the stove (turned off). Allow to steam dry for a few minutes.
- Mash to your taste. Do NOT use a hand held mixer, blender or food processor - it will activate the starches in the potatoes and make it gluey.
- To make ahead, transfer to a bowl and cover with cling wrap, pressing onto the potato to remove as much air as possible. Refrigerate up to 2 days until required.
- On the day of, place the cream and butter in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn the stove off but leave the pot on the stove. Add the potatoes and stir into the cream.
- If you want to make your potatoes creamier, push them to the side, add more cream/milk, turn the stove on, bring to a simmer then stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, garnished with chopped chives, a drizzle of olive oil and pepper.