Simple, soft, fluffy pancakes, an essential that everyone should know. You’ve been good all week. Go on. You deserve freshly made homemade pancakes for breakfast tomorrow!
Homemade pancakes shouldn’t be complicated. It doesn’t matter if they come out wonky or with a splotchy surface instead of being a beautiful, even golden brown – after all, they’ll get smothered in toppings.
But they should be soft and fluffy. And in my world, not too sweet. Because….you know. Toppings. Load up on toppings!
Any day starting with homemade pancakes is a GREAT day!
What goes in homemade pancakes
This is what you need:
- baking powder
- vanilla extract – optional
No buttermilk, no baking soda / bi carb, no yoghurt. You only need baking soda for an extra fluff boost when you have add ins in pancakes, like Blueberry Pancakes, because it weighs the batter down.
And of course TOPPINGS! Why limit yourself to just butter and maple syrup? See below for all sorts of ideas!
Pancakes Toppings – what to put on pancakes
- Butter and maple syrup – the classic!
- Maple syrup alternatives – honey, golden syrup and other sweet syrups suitable for eating raw
- Lemon and sugar – one of my favourites! Light sprinkle of sugar and a squeeze of lemon
- Strawberries and cream! Pictured below – layer it up like a cake, sandwiching the pancakes with whipped cream and sliced strawberries, then finish with a dusting of icing sugar / powdered sugar;
- Sinfully rich sauces – like caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, butterscotch sauce, peanut sauce, anything!
- Lemon curd, fruit compotes and sauces – like blueberry sauce (try the one in this Blueberry Cheesecake), Strawberry Sauce (use the one in this Strawberry Cheesecake) or try the warm apple topping in this Apple French Toast
- BACON and maple syrup – YES!
- Sprinkle of nuts
- Fresh fruit – chop it, pile over pancakes with cream!
- Ice cream – add a scoop onto a stack and drizzle with maple syrup, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce. Don’t forget the whipped cream!
- Dusting of cinnamon and sugar
Pro tip: Keep a STANDBY PANCAKE MIX!
Homemade pancakes aren’t complicated to make, but sometimes it’s that much more appealing if there’s a ready made mix in the cupboard, just like the ones you can buy at the store!
Just measure out the dry ingredients and pop them in a ziplock bag, jar or airtight container, then when you want to make fresh pancakes, just add the wet ingredients!
To make a handy shake ‘n pour bottle like pictured above, you’ll need a 1.5L/1.5Qt+ bottle to leave enough headroom for the required liquids + shaking. I mix the wet ingredients in a jug then pour it in then shake away!
Now, go forth and elevate your morning by making a big stack of these soft, fluffy, golden pancakes! TELL ME what you top YOURS with! – Nagi xx
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Simple Fluffy Pancakes recipe video!
Simple, Fluffy Pancakes
- 2 cups / 300g plain / all purpose flour (Note 1)
- 4 tsp baking powder (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup / 55g white sugar (caster / super fine is best but not essential)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups / 435 ml cups milk (any type, any fat %)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 4 tsp butter , for cooking
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla. Whisk until lump free - no longer than 30 seconds.
- Heat a non stick skillet - use medium heat if you have a strong stove, medium high if you have a weak one. Add a tiny bit of butter (about 1/2 tsp) and swirl to melt. Use paper towel to mostly wipe the butter off (this is the trick to avoid a dodgy 1st pancake).
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into the middle of the fry pan (I use a slightly heaped ice cream scoop with lever, standard is 1/4 cup).
- Swirl pan lightly to spread or use the ice cream scoop edge to spread into 11cm / 4.5" circle (ruler is a must) (joking!).
- When bubbles rise to the surface (see video), flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Remove and keep warm in a low oven.
- Use more butter every 2 to 3 pancakes - depends how good your non stick coating is.
- Serve with toppings of choice!
More pancake recipes
- Extra Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
- Nutella Stuffed Pancakes
- Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes
- Giant Pancakes – to share!
- Pikelets – mini pancakes!
LIFE OF DOZER
I’m surprised there isn’t a massive drool hanging from his mouth.
Oh wait. I don’t want to gross you out, but after I wrote this post, I almost slipped on a puddle of drool when I was cleaning that area. Ewwwwww!