Just roll the salmon in sesame seeds, drizzle with oil and bake! You’ll be amazed how well the sesame sticks and love how crispy this Sesame Crusted Salmon is. Served with soba noodles and greens cooked in the same pot with a great Asian sauce for a quick, seriously fabulous salmon recipe!
Sesame Crusted Salmon
I’m sticking this recipe in my 15 Minute Meals collection even though technically it takes 20 minutes to make, and in my Asian recipes collection even though technically it isn’t an authentic Asian recipe.
Because in my head, it’s worthy of being in both those collections – the salmon itself takes less than 15 minutes to cook and this bowl has all sorts of Asian-ness in it with the soba, Asian greens, the Asian dressing and that sesame crusted salmon (don’t ask me why but I think of sesame as an Asiany ingredient even though I know it’s used widely in all sorts of cuisines all around the world 🤗).
That sesame crust on the salmon is awesome. It’s crispy and tastes so….. well, sesame-y.
And to think that there’s no need to fuss about dredging the salmon in flour and egg!!!
Quick baked salmon recipe
We have Jamie Oliver to thank for this recipe because it’s from one of his cooking shows. Except he pan fries – which I tried, but found that bits of crust came off even when I handled it super carefully.
The sesame crust is the best bit. I want it all.
So I bake mine. Super high heat, finished with a broil (grill), and 13 minutes later, this is what comes out:
What until you see it in the video, all bubbling and golden. It looks so good.
(Psst Little time saver tip – cook the greens with the soba. Just add them in for the last minute of cook time).
I serve this with one of my favourite Asian Dressings, from this Beef Soba Noodle Bowls recipe. I really should file it away separately as its own recipe because it’s one I regularly use. Use it for salads, pouring over cooked fish, chicken, beef and pork, and to toss through noodles. And this Sesame Crusted Salmon is the perfect candidate for the dressing because it clings to the seeds.
You’re 20 minutes away from this fabulous bowl of noodle slurping deliciousness topped with a crispy sesame salmon and obligatory greens to round it out!!! And remember – you’ll find it in my 15 Minute Meals and Asian recipes collections even though technically it should not be in either! 😜 – Nagi x
More salmon recipes
Christmas Baked Salmon: Easy & Make-ahead – Super easy, eye-catching centrepiece!
Honey Garlic Salmon – magic 4 ingredient sauce, 15 minute recipe
Salmon with Creamy Garlic & Herb Sauce – quick, easy but made elegant with fresh tarragon and chervil
Lemon Honey Glazed Salmon – lemon and honey is a stunning flavour with rich salmon flavours
Baked Parmesan Crusted Salmon with Lemon Cream Sauce – crunchy parmesan crumbed crust with an incredible creamy lemon sauce
Brown Sugar Broiled Salmon – super quick, incredible flavour!
Poached Salmon in Coconut Lime Sauce – poached salmon was never so amazing!
Creamy Dill Sauce for Salmon or Trout – classic sauce for salmon
Garlic Butter Salmon – fast, simple, familiar … easy to love!
See all Salmon recipes
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Sesame Crusted Salmon
- 4 x 150-200g / 5-7 oz skinless boneless salmon or trout fillets (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
- 75g/ 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
- 4 tsp vegetable or canola oil (or other neutral oil, not olive oil)
- Sliced shallots / scallions , optional garnish
Soba and greens:
- 250 g / 8 oz dried soba noodles (Note 2)
- 2 bunches baby buk choi , or other greens of choice (Note 3)
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce , light or ordinary (Note 4)
- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil (or other neutral oil, not olive)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar (Note 2)
- 1 tbsp Mirin (Note 2)
- 2 tsp sugar (any, I use white)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger , minced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- Take salmon out of fridge 20 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 220C/430F (standard) or 200C/390F (fan). Place shelf about 20cm/8″ from the broiler heat source at the top of the oven.
- Sprinkle both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Place sesame in shallow dish. Press salmon into sesame seeds to coat on all sides. Place on tray.
- Drizzle top with oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Flick to broiler on high – broil / grill for 3 minutes until the top is a bit golden (or bake for 5 minutes, but won’t be as golden). (Note 5)
- Remove from oven, rest 3 minutes. Serve with soba and greens, garnished with scallions (optional) and drizzled with Dressing.
Soba and greens:
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Cook soba per packet directions. Add greens for the last 1 minute of cooking.
- Drain then divide between bowls.
- Place ingredients in jar and shake. Set aside for 5 minutes.
LIFE OF DOZER
I swear this dog has no awareness of his own size. 🙄
Leave a Comment