Crispy Sesame-Crusted Tofu Steaks
Best Tofu for Tofu Steaks
What else you need to make Sesame-Crusted Tofu Steak
For the Teriyaki Sauce
How to make Sesame-Crusted Tofu Steaks
Making the Teriyaki Sauce
Mmm, that Teriyaki Sauce-soaked sesame crust …
What to serve with Sesame-Crusted Tofu
Watch how to make it
Sesame Crusted Tofu Steaks with Teriyaki Sauce
- 4 extra firm or hard tofu , cut into 10 x 5 x 1.5cm slices (4 x 2 x 0.6″), 100g / 3.5oz each (Note 1)
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp flour , plain/all purpose
- 1 egg , lightly whisked
- 4 tbsp white sesame seeds (Note 2) (yes, you really need 4 tbsp!)
- 4 tbsp black sesame seeds (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp canola/vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely sliced 1mm thick (optional, Note 2)
- 1 green onion , finely sliced (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce , preferably Japanese all-purpose, else light soy sauce (Note 4)
- 2 tbsp mirin , preferably Japanese (Note 5)
- 2 tbsp cooking sake , preferably Japanese (Note 6)
- 2 tbsp water
- Season tofu: Pat tofu dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Prepare crust coating: Place flour, egg and sesame in separate bowls (medium shallow bowls or tupperware best).
- Sesame crust: Press tofu into flour, shake off excess. Dip in egg, then let excess drip off before coat in sesame seeds, pressing to adhere all over. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Crispy garlic: Heat oil in a non stick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until golden and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Cook tofu: Turn heat up to medium-high. Place tofu in skillet and cook for 1 1/2 minutes until the sesame smells nutty and becomes crisp. Turn carefully and cook the other side for 1 1/2 minutes. Then use tongs to prop the tofu steaks up on its sides to sear the edges until crisp – about 30 seconds each side should do it (see video for my technique).
- Drain: Remove tofu to paper towel lined plate.
- Teriyaki Sauce: Lower heat to medium then add Teriyaki Sauce ingredients. Simmer for 1 minute until it reduces to a syrupy consistency, then remove skillet from stove.
- Serve: Place tofu steak on plate. Spoon over Teriyaki Sauce (it clings to sesame, don't worry, crust stays crispy). Sprinkle with garlic and green onion. Devour, then declare, "I LOVE TOFU!!".