If you have a sweet tooth, if your kids are hovering around or if you generally lack self control around food, you should stop reading now. I meant it. Don’t look at the photo of these Strawberry Nutella French Toast Roll Ups!
“This is how you justify having dessert for breakfast…”
The problem with these Strawberry Nutella French Toast Roll Ups is that they are way too easy to make. Because frankly, let’s not kid ourselves, these are not a normal breakfast by any stretch of the imagination. I made these in the morning to take photos and as I munched on them afterwards, all I could think was “damn, these are the best doughnuts ever”. The thought of them being breakfast never even occurred to me.
But, but, but…..it’s french toast! French toast is for breakfast!
Okaaaaay then….okay. So is this how you justify having dessert for breakfast?
This isn’t an original recipe I came up with. I’ve seen strawberry stuffed french toast roll ups “around”, but I have noticed that they all seem to use cream cheese rather than Nutella. I tried it with cream cheese, but I much prefer making these with Nutella because….well, Nutella vs cream cheese? Nutella wins, hands down, every single time.
It constantly amazes me that with a handful of ingredients you can whip up a breakfast like this in 15 minutes. Honestly, no matter how sketchy I’m feeling after a few too many wines the night before, I can still muster up the strength to make these. And after a few bites, I perk up considerably!
I know it’s tempting to head out for brunch on the weekend, but why not stay in and try these? Coffee refills are free, and brunch at home means you don’t have to get out of your PJ’s or straighten your hair (ahh, the joys of being a girl!).
Happy brunching! – Nagi
Cute spins on French Toast
Monte Cristo (Ham Cheese French Toast Sandwich)
And also – Classic French Toast!
Strawberry Nutella French Toast Roll Ups
- 6 slices fresh white sandwich bread , crusts removed
- 1/2 punnet strawberries , diced small
- 4 1/2 tbsp Nutella
- 1/4 cup caster sugar (superfine sugar) (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tbsp milk (full cream or low fat)
- Pinch of salt
- Combine Egg Mixture in a bowl with a flat base large enough to lie the roll up in. Whisk to combine.
- Spread sugar out in a small dish.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the bread flat. This makes them easier to roll up (and stay rolled up).
- Spread each piece of bread with around 3/4 tbsp of Nutella.
- Sprinkle strawberries along the bottom of each piece of bread.
- Roll up bread. The Nutella will keep it sealed.
- Melt butter in pan over medium high heat.
- Roll each roll up in the Egg Mixture, shake off excess then place in the pan. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Cook for around 4 minutes until each side is golden, rotating every 1 minute or so.
- Remove from pan and immediately place in the sugar. Roll to coat in sugar, then remove. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Serve immediately, while warm.
Save these Strawberry Nutella French Toast Roll Ups to you “Breakfast” Pinterest Board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest so you can see all the delicious recipes I’m pinning!