A Monte Cristo Sandwich is like the best ham and cheese sandwich you will ever have! It’s essentially French Toast sandwiched with ham and cheese, pan fried in butter until golden and the cheese has melted.
Make it for breakfast or brunch – or anytime!
Monte Cristo Sandwich
I shared this recipe as a way to use up leftover homemade Glazed Ham, because this is a recipe that’s worthy of leftover baked ham!
Though having said that, I make this year round using ordinary deli ham. It’s a great recipe to turn the ordinary into an extraordinary breakfast, lunch or even dinner – because nobody gets excited over a Ham and Cheese Sandwich.
But EVERYONE goes bonkers over Monte Cristo!
What is a Monte Cristo Sandwich?
Monte Cristos are a ham and cheese sandwich that’s been french-toasted. (Is that a real word? Let’s make it one!). It’s America’s answer to the French classic French Monsieur!
While the origins of the name aren’t exactly clear, everybody agrees on one thing – they are delicious!
While typically made with ham, Monte Cristo sandwiches can be made with any cold slices – turkey, chicken, eve pork and beef.
How to make Monte Cristo Sandwiches
It goes like this: Slather bread with mayo (optional), pile on (lots of) ham, top with (lots of) cheese, sandwich with another piece of bread, dip in egg-milk mix and pan fry in butter until golden. The more the better. 🙂
Look at the crust on these Monte Cristo Sandwiches! They are cooked for a bit longer than french toast usually is because it needs the time for the cheese inside to melt. And that is why you end up with a really beautiful thick golden crust, unlike the usual french toast.
Looks pretty good, no?
There is one very difficult decision that needs to be made with these. And that is this: fancy bread or ordinary sandwich bread? Both are just as good! Sourdough and other fancy artisan breads get a slightly thicker, stiffer crust but sandwich bread typically has a larger surface area so there is more ooey-gooey-melted cheese and hot ham centre.
It’s a tough call. Tough call. A decision I’m incapable of making.
I leave that earth-shattering-life-changing decision up to you! – Nagi x
Cute spins on French Toast
- Cinnamon French Toast Sticks
- Strawberry Nutella French Toast Roll Ups
- Cinnamon French Toast bites
- Bacon French Toast Roll Ups
- And also – Classic French Toast!
And more Sandwiches – I love a good sandwich!
- Cubanos – Cuban sandwiches with marinated slow roasted pork
- Muffelatas – Baked bread bowl sandwich, the ultimate picnic food!
- Pastrami Sandwiches – with a simple homemade pastrami!
- Steak Sandwich
- See all Sandwiches and Sliders, and also Burgers!
PS One more look at gooey melted cheese and hot ham clamped snugly between golden, buttery french toast, just in case I haven’t already convinced you that you need these in your life!!! 😉
P.S. I feel like I’ve forgotten something….oh, that’s right! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 😉
Monte Cristo Sandwich (Ham Cheese French Toast)
- 4 slices bread of choice (Note 1)
- 1 large egg or 2 small eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp mayonnaise (I like whole egg mayo)
- 2 - 4 slices gruyere cheese (or other grated or sliced melting cheese of choice)
- Ham or turkey , sliced or shaved
- 1 - 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Lightly whisk egg, milk and a generous pinch of salt in a flat bowl.
- Spread 2 slices of bread with mayonnaise.
- Top with ham, then cheese, then sandwich with remaining slices of bread. Press down firmly.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Dip each side of the sandwiches briefly in the egg mixture, then place in skillet.
- Cook the first side, pressing down with an egg flip, for 3 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Flip and cook the other side for 3 minutes, pressing down firmly with the egg flip, until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately, while hot!