Homemade taco seasoning is preservative free, doesn’t taste artificial, costs a fraction of buying store bought, and you probably have all the spices you need in your pantry. It tastes like the packet seasoning – minus the artificial flavour and not as salty. The bonus is that you can adjust the flavouring to your tastes as well – I like my Mexican hot so I up the chili!
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (NOT US Chilli Powder, see Note 1)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Store in an airtight container.
Makes 2 tablespoons. Combine with 1lbs/500g mince meat, 1/2 cup water, 1 diced onion and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.