Oi. This white sauce. I think possibly these White Chicken Enchiladas have knocked the classic off its pedestal!
It’s Sunday night here in Sydney and I swore I was going to be healthy this week – starting from tonight. I had salad for dinner and I am munching on carrot sticks as I write this post.
So I have to tell you, it is absolute, complete and utter torture writing up this recipe and looking at these photos. Describing to you how delicious this is, trying not to remember every creamy bite, the golden bubbly cheese, the juicy chicken, that sauce….that white sauce….
Ugh. Someone help me. This “health kick” isn’t going to last beyond tomorrow morning at this rate. I feel my resolve weakening rapidly.
Months and months and months ago, a reader sent me a recipe for White Chicken Enchiladas. I must admit, I had my doubts. A sauce made with a sour cream base? Really?
The minute I made it, I fell in love. As I do, I became obsessed and made it multiple times within a very short space of time, adding my own touch.
The sauce. Seriously. I’m obsessed! The sour cream adds a subtle tang to cut through what would otherwise be a very heavy sauce, akin to the white sauce in rich French gratins. I also like to add fresh or canned jalapeños to it which adds a touch of zing and freshness.
I like to throw in corn and scallions for the filling. It fills it out more so it’s not just chicken, and also adds a touch of freshness into an otherwise very rich dish. Feel free to substitute it with whatever vegetables you had on hand – anything diced works!
I’ve even made a vegetarian version of this (gasp, shock horror!). Regular readers will know that meat-free isn’t really my “thing”. But this White Sauce is so good, I knew that a vegetarian version would rock. And indeed it did! I used a mix of black beans, corn and other diced vegetables, and oh boy. I promise you, I did NOT miss meat. 🙂
However, having said that, my favourite is this chicken version. Hence why I’m sharing this with you today.
This is easy to make and it’s great for make ahead too! I like to prepare the Enchiladas but keep the sauce separate. Then on the night of, I pour the sauce over, scatter over cheese and pop it in the oven.
Dinner’s up! – Nagi x
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
White Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeños OR canned green chilies (Note 2)
- 1/2 tsp salt + pepper
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used poached chicken breast)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese (Note 1)
- 8 to rtillas (flour or corn)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk, whisk until thickened - about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add sour cream and chicken broth. Whisk and cook for 2 minutes - it should thicken slightly. Stir through cumin, jalapeños, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix together 1/4 cup White Sauce, chicken, corn, scallions, 1 cup of grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pop the tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds to warm through (so they don't crack when rolled up).
- Divide filling between tortillas, and roll them up like a cigar.
- Smear 2 tbsp of White Sauce in baking dish. Place enchiladas in the dish, seam side down. Pour over remaining White Sauce, scatter with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden. Serve hot!
- Optional: Serve Pico de Gallo to top it or serve it on the side. I added avocado to my base Pico de Gallo Recipe.
If you enjoyed this, then my Beef Enchiladas are a must try!
Leave a Comment