How do you make a hash brown even better? Load it up with cheese and sausage! These Sausage Hash Browns are crispy, cheesy and utterly irresistible – everyone will be fighting over them!
Crispy Cheesy Sausage Hash Browns
You’ve been really good all week, right? Plenty of salads, keeping it clean, minimal meat, been to the gym, cutting down on carbs and only had the odd very small sweet treats.
OK, maybe you haven’t. But it doesn’t matter!! The weekend is here, you deserve a treat and it’s time to stop counting calories! 🙂
Besides, you know what I just realised? Four of the five essential food groups are present:
1. Dairy – cheese
2. Grains – flour
3. Lean proteins – egg
4. Vegetables – potato AND greens (in the form of scallions / shallots)
Did I just convince myself this is healthy? Wow. Giving myself a pat on the back for creating such a well rounded breakfast for you! 😉
These are made a little differently to the usual hash browns. Classic hash browns are made very simply with shredded potato, butter, salt and pepper, then pan fried in (plenty of) oil until beautiful and crispy. One of the greatest inventions this world has ever seen (along with cheese, ice cream, coffee and wine).
With the addition of sausage and cheese, the shredded potato doesn’t hold together as well so I add an egg and a wee bit of flour to bind the mixture together. It still comes out beautifully crispy and you won’t even notice the batter as there is only a little bit of it!
Please get the best sausages you can afford! It really makes a difference. The really good value sausages you can get at the supermarket that are a very pale pink are made with lots of fillers so the actual meat in the sausage is far less than you would imagine. I am not a sausage snob! I’ve never been able to walk past a sausage sizzler fundraiser without getting one (outside Bunnings on weekends – sound familiar to fellow Aussies reading this? 😉 ). I mean – it’s for CHARITY. Of course I have to get one!
But for making something like this, the sausage needs to be a decent quality sausage because it is the flavour base. Sausages are like wine – you get what you pay for!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Are you cooking up a storm this weekend? I sure am! Kitchen chaos – here I come! – Nagi x
I love a good sausage recipe!
Sausages are a great shortcut way to a quick tasty meal because they’re loaded with extra flavour. Think beyond just cooking them whole – squeeze the meat out and cook it like mince meat!
Sausage Bake with Potatoes and Gravy – a one pan recipe
Beef and Sausage Ragu – an incredible luxurious pasta sauce
Crispy Cheesy Sausage Hash Browns
PS This is also sensational made with chorizo. Ugh. It's so good that it's painful!
- 1 lb / 500g potato , about two large (Note 1)
- 2 1/2 tbsp oil
- 8 oz / 250g sausage , remove from casings (the best quality you can afford)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any other melting cheese, but not mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions/shallots (green and white part)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- Peel and shred the potato using a standard box grater.
- Place the potato in a colander and run under cold water for 10 seconds, or until the water runs clear.
- Shake off excess water, then transfer the potato to a clean tea towel. Bundle it up and squeeze hard to remove excess water, then transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a skillet over high heat. Cook the sausage, breaking it up as you go (like cooking ground meat/mince).
- Add sausage to potatoes. Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel, discarding excess fat. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Place 1/4 cup of mixture in the skillet, and use the base of the cup measure to pat it down to about 8mm / 1/3" thickness. Repeat for however many you can fit in the skillet.
- Cook until deep golden brown (about 3 minutes), then flip and cook the other side until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove onto a rack and place in a low oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining hash browns.
- Serve hot, garnished with extra scallions/shallots if desired.