Thick, hearty and creamy, this Broccoli and Potato Soup will warm your soul. I like to stir through cheese at the very end for that little bonus cheesy goodness, and to finish it off with a sprinkle of golden brown bacon or ham. Use this recipe as a base to add your own touch, like adding protein and other vegetables!
I had planned to publish this Potato and Broccoli Soup last week. But Sydney was ravished by a heatwave, and yes, we are in the height of summer but 38C/100F days with 75% humidity and no breeze is still extreme weather for this time of the year. And when it’s that hot in a house with no air conditioning, I literally couldn’t even look at the photos, let alone write a post and be all excited about how tasty it this soup is. And the thought of creating the video, having to look at all that steamy soup……..I was sweating just at the thought.
But today it’s a balmy 25C/77F, with a gentle breeze. On this lovely mild day when I am in fact defrosting the last container of this Potato and Broccoli soup to have for dinner, I am perfectly positioned to tell you all about why you need this in your life.
The base of this is a creamy white soup which is made from a roux – sounds fancy (it’s French 😉 ) but it’s just melted butter + flour mixed together which thickens whatever liquids you pour into the soup. It’s the base of almost all creamy things you will find on my website – like this Ham Potato and Corn Chowder, Seafood Gratin Pasta Bake, White Chicken Enchilada Soup (<– Seriously SO GOOD!) and this Creamy Broccoli Gratin / Casserole. Much healthier than using cream!
I’ve kept this soup fairly simple, using just broccoli and potato because my fridge was (unusually) free from proteins other than some scraps of bacon which I chopped up and used as garnish. But you can really toss in whatever you want, just use this recipe as a base for a fridge clean out!
I love these types of soups. “These types” being chunky creamy soups. Soups that are truly satisfying enough to have as a meal. And that are accidentally healthy. I just did the nutritional analysis and it came out at 405 calories for a 493g / 1 lb serving! Proof that it’s possible to eat HEALTHY without compromise! – Nagi xx
- 40g / 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups milk (whole or low fat)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 800g / 1.6lb potato, peeled and cut into 1.25 / ½" cubes
- 5 cups broccoli florets (bite size) (about 1 large broccoli)
- 1+ cups grated cheese, cheddar or tasty (or other of choice)
- Shallots/scallions, finely sliced
- Cook bacon pieces
- Grated cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and mix into onion mixture. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add about 1 cup of milk and stir quickly, it will thicken quickly. Add remaining milk gradually, whisking as you go (video below recipe is helpful if you are new to this) (Note 2).
- Add chicken broth, water and potato. Bring to simmer, and cook for 12 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potato is just cooked. If the soup gets too thick, add more chicken broth (or water) - depends how rapidly you are simmering.
- Add broccoli and stir. Cook for 2 minutes, then take the pot off the stove.
- Stir through cheese (I use 1 cup). Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with garnishes of choice.
2. In the video, I use a wooden spoon for this step and only switch to a wire whisk once I start adding the remaining milk. This is because I'm using an enamel coated cast iron pot and I don't want to risk scratching the surface with vigorously whisking!
3. To make this GLUTEN FREE, leave out the flour and make sure you use GF broth. Then mix together 4 teaspoons of cornstarch / cornflour and a splash of water to make a slurry. Add that into the soup towards the end and cook for a couple of minutes - this will thicken the soup.
4. Broccoli and Potato Soup nutrition per serving, assuming 5 servings and that 1 cup of cheese is used. Excludes toppings - because I cannot be held responsible for the amount of BACON you might pile on top!
Broccoli and Potato Soup recipe video. Love sharing videos where there are little sightings of my Baby Hands.😁
Broccoli and Potato Soup nutrition per serving, assuming 5 servings and that 1 cup of cheese is used. Excludes toppings – because I cannot be held responsible for the amount of BACON you might pile on top!
LIFE OF DOZER
In lieu of shaving him / investing in a “cooling” mat which he probably wouldn’t use anyway. He’s lying on one too… 😁