Savoury french toast? YES YES YES! This is awesome – the crunchy golden cheesy crust is to die for! And I kid you not, it takes just over 5 minutes to serve up this heaven on a plate…..truly, I timed it, it took 6 minutes! AND it’s a whole lot healthier than the traditional french toast dripping in syrup or drowning in butter (mind you, not that I have an issue with that….), because the parmesan adds so much flavour you can truly can eat it just as is, so it only has 330 calories. Amaaaazing.
French toast is best made with slightly stale bread, because that way it doesn’t soak up too much of the egg mixture (which can make it a soggy mess inside). I made this with plain old sandwich bread, but you can really use any bread you want – french stick, sourdough or brioche would be especially delicious. There’s a picture of it shown below made with french stick as well – though it does take longer than 5 minutes to make because there are more pieces.
Pop this in your RecipeTin app and give it a go this weekend! For 5 minutes effort, why not??
- 4 slices slightly stale bread (see notes)
- 3 large eggs (or 4 small eggs)
- ½ cup milk (or cream)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- Place butter in large pan over high heat.
- Lightly whisk eggs, milk, parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Dredge bread into egg mixture, shake off excess, then place into pan. If your pan is large enough, cook all 4 pieces at the same time.
- Scrape any remaining cheese at the bottom to the egg mixture bowl onto the bread in the pan (why waste it?).
- Cook each side until golden - 1 to 2 minutes.
- Eat immediately, while warm!
2. Use slightly stale bread if you can, that way the bread does not absorb too much of the egg mixture (which can make it soggy on the inside).