These Cinnamon French Toast Bites are so much fun to make! You kind of “sauté” them, as though you are stir frying! And it goes without saying that they’re fun to EAT too. 🙂
Those of you who have been following along for a while will know that I have a weakness for french toast. I’ve shared 9 french toast recipes so far, and I’ve even created a recipe collection for them! (You can check it out here -> New Ways With French Toast).
I expect to run out of ideas soon. A french toast drought.
But until then, I’ll keep sharing new takes on french toast that I come up with. No matter how wacky they may seem, as long as they’re scrumptious! And these little babies certainly fit that bill.
They taste like mini cinnamon doughnuts! With about 80% less calories – win, win, win!!
These French Toast Bites are really just a variation on my Cinnamon French Toast Sticks. The only difference is that the bread is cut into cubes and they are way more fun to cook.
“More fun to cook?”, I hear you ask. Yes, they really are! Because they are in the shape of cubes, browning each side by turning them is a real pain. So instead, I “sauté” them with a wooden spoon, as though I’m making a stir fry. It works perfectly!
Food you can eat with your hands. My favourite kind….
OK, here we go, here are my Baby Hands on show for you to have a giggle at. Gives you some perspective of the size of these French Toast Bites. But remember, my hands are abnormally small so the French Toast Bites look larger than they actually are!!
Cinnamon French Toast Bites
- 4 thick slices of slightly stale white bread (1"/2.5cm thick) (Note 1)
- 2 large eggs (or 3 small eggs)
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp butter , separated
- Maple syrup to serve (not optional!)
- Cut the crust off the bread, then cut each piece into 9 equal cubes.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Melt 1 1/2 tbsp of butter in a fry pan over medium high heat. Don't let the butter brown.
- Quickly toss half the bread cubes in the egg mixture and use your hands to shake off excess egg mixture. Place the bread cubes in the fry pan and use a wooden spoon to "sauté" them until browned on all sides - about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the bread cubes from the fry pan straight into the sugar mixture. Toss to coat, then remove onto a plate.
- Repeat with remaining bread cubes.
- Serve immediately, with maple syrup for dipping.
Have you see all the other FRENCH TOAST recipes I have? I’ve even made up an entire Recipe Collection for them!