A classic Coleslaw with a dressing made with both mayonnaise and sour cream. A great side and perfect for piling onto Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders! UPDATE: SHARE YOUR VARIATIONS!!!
Keeping this post short and sweet because it’s an extra recipe for the pulled pork sliders that I also posted today!
I know there a gazillion Coleslaw recipes “out there”, and I don’t claim mine to be the BEST in the world because everyone has different tastes. But this is how I make my classic Coleslaw, and I love it. I like making the dressing with mayonnaise and sour cream as it makes it a little less rich and gluggy – albeit still quite indulgent.
Hope you enjoy! – Nagi x
UPDATE: I love getting ideas for variations! Tell me how you make YOUR Coleslaw and I’ll add it to the notes of the recipe!
- 7 cups green cabbage , finely shredded (Note 1)
- 1 medium carrot , shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or sub with white wine vinegar)
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- Black pepper
Mix Dressing ingredients together.
Toss through salad. Set aside for at least 20 minutes before serving.
2. MAKE AHEAD: For the Coleslaw, place carrot and cabbage in a ziplock bag, squeeze out excess air then refrigerate for up to 5 days. Make the dressing and store in the fridge separately. Coleslaw tends to get watery after a few hours so it's best made fresh.
3. This recipe serves 6 - 8 as a side. It makes enough for one batch of theBBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches.
3. VARIATION suggestions from readers (and some from me!):
Add chopped or sliced onions
Add shallots/scallions finely sliced on the diagonal
Swap out some of the green cabbage for red cabbage (love the colour)
Granny smith apples cut into batons (YUM that would be fantastic!)
Sub sour cream for yoghurt