All the breakfast essentials, in one golden cheesy bake! This Breakfast Casserole tastes just like a country breakfast fry up – hence the name. Perfect for feeding a crowd AND it can be made ahead!
Bacon + sausage + egg + milk + cheese + potatoes + bread does not = nutritious low fat energy breakfast for every day.
But it DOES equal DELICIOUS!!!
This is my “make-ahead-feed-an-army” version of a country breakfast fry up that is one of my favourite things to order when I go out for brunch (especially if I had a few too many champers the night before). A ginormous plate loaded with eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes and toast on the side.
Hold the greens thanks!
Oh wait. I felt so guilty about not even adding some cherry tomatoes or bell peppers (capsicums), I decided I better add some greens.
So I sprinkled parsley on. See? There’s your greens for the morning! 😉
What this breakfast casserole tastes like
And the bread poking out on the surface is buttery, crispy and golden.
Combine that with the tasty browned sausage, BACON, potato and cheese, and it’s a fully loaded breakfast for champions!
The lovely golden, buttery surface
My way of making breakfast casserole is a little different to the usual where the bread is torn into chunks and soaked in egg mixture.
What I like to do is use slices of baguette, soak in egg mixture and stand them upright in the baking dish, then drizzle with butter so the top gets lovely and golden.
But you know what? This will shock you! This breakfast bake serves 8 and each serving has 645 calories. Compared to a breakfast fry up which typically has over 1,000 calories per serving for 2 eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, some potatoes and toast. Did you know that?
Wait a second. Did I just convince myself this is healthy?? 😉
– Nagi x
More breakfast and brunch recipes
Nowadays, I put on brunches more than I do lunches! Here are some of my favourites to make for a crowd:
Shakshuka – Middle Eastern baked eggs in a spiced tomato broth
Homemade Sausage and Egg McMuffins – the sausage patties taste just like Maccers!!
Sausage & Bacon Country Breakfast Casserole
- 2.5 ft / 80 cm baguette (french stick), preferably slightly stale
- 7 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (full fat) or half and half (I use milk)
- 10 oz / 300 g potatoes , peeled and diced into 1/2" / 1.2cm cubes
- 10 oz / 300 g bacon , roughly chopped
- 1 lb / 500 g sausage , removed from casing (use good quality - Note 1)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter , melted (optional)
- Finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Slice the baguette into 2cm / 0.8" thick slices and place in a baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together. Pour 2/3 of the egg mixture over the bread. Turn the bread to make sure both sides of every piece is soaked in egg mixture. Set aside to soak while you cook the bacon and sausage.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat skillet over high heat. Add bacon and cook until very lightly cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off excess fat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up as you go, until lightly browned. Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- By now, most of the egg mixture should be soaked up by the bread. Stand the bread upright in the baking dish.
- Distribute half the potato between the bread, then top with half the sausage, half the bacon and half the cheese. Repeat with remaining potato, sausage, bacon and cheese (finish with cheese).
- Pour remaining egg mixture over everything.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and drizzle butter over the bread.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes until the bread is golden. Serve, garnished with parsley if using.