This is a super easy salad that can be largely made ahead. Blanch the beans the day before, make the dressing then on the day, just chop up a tomato and red onion and assemble!
This is a salad I like to make when I’m planning a large menu ahead because I can prepare most of it in advance then there is very little prep on the day.
The dressing I use is a very classic one made with dijon mustard for colour and as a thickener, and I use lemon for acidity. But you can really use any vinegar based dressing for this.
Green Bean Salad
- 1 lb / 500g green beans , trimmed
- 1 tomato , diced
- 1/4 red onion , finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (or white wine vinegar)
- 3 - 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Combine the Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Set aside - or refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the beans, bring it back up to a boil and boil beans for 60 seconds - no more!
- Drain and plunge in ice cold water (or run under cold tap water) to stop them from cooking.
- If making ahead, leave in the colander to dry before transferring to the fridge.
- To serve, pile the beans on a plate, top with tomato and red onion, drizzled over dressing. Sprinkle with parsley if using.