This is the Peach Salad I make most often that makes an appearance all through summer! Sweet, juicy peaches go so well with peppery rocket, salty creamy pops of feta, a sprinkling of walnuts and the nutty orange Poppyseed Dressing is just the perfect finishing touch.
After a (very!) extended water break, the inaugural Holiday Salad Marathon has resumed! Today – making the most of juicy summer peaches (again):
#19: Peach Salad II with Poppyseed Dressing
Peach Salad I is my luxe peach salad which involves Prosciutto and fresh mozzarella. It’s a stunner, but it’s practically a centrepiece in itself. In fact, I’ve done single serving size portions as appetisers – it’s wonderful!
This Peach Salad II is my staple Peach Salad that makes an appearance all through summer alongside “everything”. The combination just works really well together – peppery fresh rocket with juicy sweet peaches, creamy salty pops of Danish feta (or Persian marinated feta, if you’re feeling generous) drizzled with a nutty orange infused Poppyseed Dressing.
Fresh and simple but also a little bit spesh!
What goes in Peach Salad II
Here’s what you need for Peach Salad II:
I tend to be a little heavy handed on the peaches vs the greens. I just can’t help it – they’re here for such a short time, I can’t resist making the most of them!
- Ripe peaches – if they aren’t ripe, it defeats the purpose. Don’t make this salad! And no, canned peaches are just not the same. OK for desserts. Not for salad. Sorry folks!
- Rocket/arugula – the peppery leaves and the perky shape makes it an ideal leafy green base for the juicy slices of peaches. With softer leafy greens like baby spinach, the peach slices just weigh them down / sink to the base of the bowl;
- Walnuts – for a touch of nutty warm crunch. You know I love my textures in salads!
- Feta – creamy pops of salty goodness, works so well with juicy sweet peaches.
Orange Poppyseed Dressing
And here’s what you need for the Poppyseed Dressing:
The poppyseed brings a touch of lovely nuttiness to the flavour as well as looking quite striking when you see it drizzled across the bright orange peach slices!
What to serve with Peach Salad II
Think – all things summer! Anything you throw on the BBQ, bright summery mains or as part of a salad spread, something I’ve been doing more of in recent years for casual lunch gatherings.
Here are some suggestions:
Fire up the grill!
Summery Main Dishes
Quick cook, summery mains.
For 4 – 6 people, I usually do 3 salads, choosing a variety of colours, textures and flavours. I usually opt for one with a starch in it, then I also add a side of bread, wraps or something along those lines.
Peach season is so short. Let’s make the most of the time we have left! – Nagi x
What is the Holiday Salad Marathon?
This was my inaugural Christmas recipe countdown where I had planned to share 30 salad recipes in a row until Christmas Eve – something completely different to people’s usual baking countdowns!
Life, however, got in the way and I never crossed the finish line before Christmas. After an extended water break, I’ve finally resumed!!!
These salads are in addition to my regular 3 new recipes a week. Because aren’t you bored of the usual tomato-cucumber-lettuce garden salad routine??
Click here to see all the Holiday Salad Marathon recipes to date!
Peach Salad II with Orange Poppyseed Dressing
- 120g/ 4oz baby rocket/arugula
- 2 yellow peaches , ripe and juicy, halved then cut into thin slices (nectarines also work)
- 1/3 cup walnuts , lightly toasted then broken or chopped into pieces (Note 1)
- 70g / 2oz creamy Danish feta (or Persian marinated feta or goats cheese)
- 2 tbsp apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or a nut oil)
- 1 tsp orange zest , finely grated (optional)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Dressing: Shake ingredients in a jar.
- Place rocket in a bowl. Drizzle with just a little bit of dressing, then toss to coat.
- Transfer 1/3 of the salad to serving bowl, scatter over 1/3 peaches, walnuts and feta, drizzle with dressing. Repeat twice more. Serve!
Life of Dozer
Totally on board with peach season.