These Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches are loaded with juicy flavour packed pulled pork smothered in a homemade BBQ Sauce, piled high onto buns and topped with coleslaw.
Pulled Pork Sandwich
Steak Sandwich on Monday. Pulled pork today.
It seems like it’s sandwich week. No one told you? Don’t worry. No one told me either! 😂
Actually, I could have shuffled the posting schedule around. But I don’t want to. I’ve been busting to share this recipe for ages, and finally it’s here and I’m not holding it back any longer!!!
Get an eyeful of this….every meat lovers’ dream come true…juicy pulled pork smothered in homemade BBQ sauce.
Knees. Weak. Every. Single. Time.
This kind of food is all me. The “get stuck into it, get it all over your hands/mouth” type of food. The kind that’s all about gatherings, food that’s meant to be shared, food that’s meant to be eaten in informal settings.
And also food that tastes a million bucks and yet is so simple to make. This recipe is all about two things:
That pork. That pork, that pork. Generously seasoned with a flavour packed rub, cooked until super tender but not mushy. It only needs an hour of marinating time because there’s so much flavour infusion during the slow cooking. Either in the slow cooker or oven. But if you’re pressed for time, you can absolutely use a pressure cooker – works a treat!
The BBQ Sauce! Make it from scratch as I do, or use store bought and dress it up by mixing it with the pork juices. Either way, the addition of the pork juices really takes the sauce to the next level. My preference is to make the sauce separately using some, but not all, the pork juices. I’ve made a “self saucing” version before by putting all the BBQ Sauce ingredients in with the pork but found that the sauce tastes too porky.
A quick classic Coleslaw*, some golden buns, then lay it all out on the table and let everyone help themselves.
Party time! Australia Day, Super Bowl Sunday…or just any day!! – Nagi x
More Burgers, Sliders and Sandwiches
Big, juicy Hamburgers
Steak Sandwich – super quick
Chicken Burger – juicy seasoned chicken breast steak with the lot!
Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Burger – chicken marinated in a homemade flavour bomb Peri Peri sauce
Cubanos – The famous Cuban roast pork sandwich from The Chef movie
Pastrami Sandwiches – Rye bread piled high with homemade pastrami. EPIC!
Veggie Burger – Meatless made amazing. Puts those doughy bricks at the shops to shame!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe video!
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 - 2.2 kg/ 3 - 4.5 lb pork shoulder or butt , skinless and boneless (Note 1)
- 3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice (Note 2)
- 1 quantity Coleslaw
- 6 - 8 bread rolls
BBQ Sauce (Note 5)
- 1 cup pork juices from slow cooker, once cooked
- 2 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp each black pepper, onion (or garlic powder), mustard powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Mix together Rub then rub all over the pork. Optional: Marinate for 1 hour.
- Place in the slow cooker and pour over apple cider. Slow cook for 8 hours on low or pressure cook for 1 hr 30 minutes on high. (Note 3)
- Remove pork from liquid into a roasting pan. Reserve liquid.
- OPTIONAL: Roast pork for 20 - 30 minutes at 180C/350F until browned (Note 4). Meanwhile, make BBQ Sauce.
- Shred pork with forks - it should be fall apart tender (see video).
- Toss in BBQ sauce - use as much as you like, the recipe makes enough to coat the pork well but not dripping in sauce, plus a bit extra on the side.
- To make Pulled Pork Sandwiches, pile pork on warmed rolls and top with Coleslaw. I like to lay everything out for people to make their own.
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk. Bring to simmer, then turn down the heat so it simmers gently. Cook for 1 hour. Remove from stove and use per recipe.
LIFE OF DOZER
You can just imagine what’s going through his head as he gazes at a mammoth pile of pulled pork….