Honey Soy Chicken is a sweet, salty, sticky chicken dinner that’s incredible quick to prepare. Mix up a simple honey sauce sauce, pour over chicken and bake. You’ll be a rockstar when you serve up this incredible sticky Baked Chicken that kids and grown ups will go nuts over!
Honey Soy Chicken
I’ve tried quite a number of honey soy chicken recipes over the years but never found a keeper. Until my friend Claire from Sprinkles and Sprouts, a fellow Australian food blogger, posted her Oven Baked Sticky Honey Soy Sesame Chicken.
I tried this recipe the day after it landed in my inbox. As soon as I took it out of the oven, I knew it was the recipe I’d been waiting for.
The glaze was perfect. Strong flavour, but there’s not an overwhelming amout of it – just enough to coat the chicken which is all you need. And it’s because the glaze has such great flavour that you don’t even need to marinate the chicken.
Just throw a handful of ingredients in a pan, bake it, and this is what you get.
One key tip that she emphasises that I made the mistake of ignoring the first time – line the baking dish with foil AND baking paper (parchment paper)! This is a jammy glaze we have here, and if you just use baking paper, you’ll be suffering through a serious scrubbing session like I did!
I learnt my lesson the hard way – never again! 🙂
Before I sign off, I want to share some of my favorites from Sprinkles & Sprouts. Claire’s food is very similar to mine – fuss free food with big flavours, everyday ingredients, with a focus on dinners. We both agree that potatoes are one of the greatest foods on this planet and are yet to come across a way with potatoes we don’t like. In fact, Claire is so obsessed with potatoes that she’s created an entire Potato recipe collection! (Psst! Her Smashed Crispy Potatoes are so good I included them in my latest feature in Super Food Ideas magazine!)
MY PICKS FROM SPRINKLES & SPROUTS
This sticky Honey Soy chicken tops the list. 🙂 – Nagi x
More simple baked bone-in chicken thigh recipes
- Sticky Baked Balsamic Chicken
- Baked Chicken and Rice
- Honey Mustard Chicken – also this version with Potatoes and crispy bacon!
- Baked Greek Marinated Chicken
- Italian Baked Chicken with Potatoes
Sticky Honey Soy Chicken - baked
- 6 bone in , skin on chicken thighs, about 2 lb/1kg
- 1 red onion , cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or ordinary white vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F (fan forced) or 200C/390F for conventional.
- Line a baking dish with foil then baking paper. The baking tray should fit the chicken comfortably, not too spaced apart (glaze will dry out), not too snug (glaze won't thicken enough). (Note 2)
- Mix the Glaze ingredients together.
- Place onion and chicken in the baking dish skin side down, then pour the Glaze over.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then turn and bake for a further 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the glaze is sticky. If the glaze is not syrupy, remove the chicken onto a plate and put the pan back in for a few minutes.
- Tilt baking dish and spoon out excess fat. Turn chicken skin side down and squidge around in the glaze to coat it.
- Serve with rice and steamed greens, sprinkled with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.