You can make my ULTRA LAZY Zucchini Ham Cheese Omelette even when you’re half asleep! Satisfying enough for a low-carb meal, perfect for a nutritious breakfast. Deliciousness made real easy….
Will you be appalled or applaud when you see how this is made?? 🙂
I really wasn’t sure if I’d ever share this recipe because I’m actually sort of embarrassed by the sheer laziness of how it’s made. I’ve been making variations of this omelette for as long as I can remember – for breakfast (terrific low carb option!), but more often for dinner.
This is how the recipe goes down: grate garlic and zucchini straight into the pan, saute in butter, crack in the eggs, give it a quick squidge around, top with ham and cheese, fold in half, and boom, you’re done!
6 minutes, start to finish. If it’s in the pan for longer than 5 minutes, you’ve overcooked your omelette…..
I know it’s not fancy.
I know there are fluffier and much more pretty omelettes out there.
I know the way I make this is a bit cheeky.
But the truth is, this is the omelette that I make the most often. More often than I care to admit. Even after a long day of cooking on the job, I can still muster up enough energy to make this Ultra Lazy Zucchini Ham Cheese Omelette.
Mainly because it’s so darn tasty even though it is Ultra Lazy. And also, it’s nutritious. As long as you don’t go crazy with the cheese, of course. I take no responsibility for how much cheese you put into this. 😉
So this Sunday, when you roll out of bed and stumble into the kitchen, squinting at the glaring brightness of a gorgeous weekend morning, don’t fret. You do not need to brush your hair or change out of your comfy PJ’s and furry slippers to go out for a weekend-worthy brekki. Just make THIS Ultra Lazy Zucchini Ham Cheese Omelette! – Nagi x
- 1 tbsp / 15g butter (eyeball it)
- 1/2 garlic (unpeeled is fine)
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette)
- 2 large eggs (~60g/2oz)
- 25 g / 1 oz ham , shaved / torn
- 2 tbsp / 20g grated cheese (any melting cheese of choice)
- Salt and pepper
Melt butter in a medium non stick skillet over medium high heat (or medium if your stove is strong).
While the butter is melting, use a box grater to grate 1/2 a garlic clove straight into the pan. Then grate in the zucchini.
Saute zucchini until it softens - about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Spread zucchini in the skillet, crack in the eggs onto the zucchini. Use a fork to "whisk" and spread it out.
Top with cheese then ham, sprinkle with pepper.
When you can see the egg is mostly set on the surface, fold in half - there should be golden bits on the underside.
Leave for 20 seconds then flip again. Leave for 20 seconds, then remove from stove and slide the omelette straight onto a plate.
1. Use this recipe has a base for all sorts of combinations, especially if you're willing to pull out a chopping board! However, here are some ideas in the spirit of the Ultra Lazy approach: grate in carrot, potato, sweet potato, asparagus (break it into bite size pieces straight into the pan), frozen or canned corn, other cured meats like prosciutto, smoked salmon, flake in hot smoked salmon or even tuna, strips of chargrilled capsicum, sun dried tomatoes, olives, capers, anything else that comes in cans!
2. NUTRITION TIPS: Table below is per the recipe. If you use a non stick pan, sub the butter with 1 tsp olive oil, and reduce the cheese to 1 tbsp, then the calories per serving reduces to 298 calories.
Ultra Lazy Zucchini Ham Cheese Omelette recipe video!
LIFE OF DOZER
He’s sulking. He’s figured out that bags with wheels = me going away without him. Off to Tasmania this weekend!!!