These irresistible Ham, Egg and Cheese Pockets are soft on top and crispy on the bottom, they take 3 minutes to assemble and you won’t dirty a single thing. I mean it! NO DIRTY DISHES!
I noticed the other day that McDonald’s have Ham and Cheese Pockets as part of their breakfast menu! I haven’t tried them, and doubt I ever will, but these look just like the McDonald’s one – with the added bonus of egg. 🙂 Extra tastiness, and keeps you full for longer!
Doesn’t the inside look fabulous?? And I love the crispy edges!
HOW TO MAKE HAM, EGG CHEESE POCKETS
This is how to assemble it. Firstly pile on some ham, then create a “well” using shredded cheese and crack in an egg.
Then simply fold in the sides and wrap into a parcel, and wrap in foil to hold it all together. Then bake until the egg is cooked to your taste – it’s easy to tell, just poke to surface and you’ll be able to feel how firm the egg is.
I realise the name is a bit clunky. And if there is anyone reading this who is more of a wordsmith than me, I’d dearly love suggestions for a better name. It sounds almost childish, doesn’t it? And yet somehow, very me. 🙂 (Both the ridiculous sounding name and the recipe itself!).
I kept these breakfast pockets very simple, made with just ham, egg and cheese. But think of the possibilities! Add some greens, olives, sun dried tomatoes. Switch out the ham with salami or other cured meat. Cook some bacon. Just use this recipe as the base for your own creations!
These Ham, Egg and Cheese breakfast pockets are my 2nd No Washing Up invention. The first was this No Washing Up Ham Egg and Cheese Bread Bowls (SO GOOD!) which I am still very fond it. Those are made with bread rolls, these are made with tortilla wraps or any kind of flatbread that is thin and pliable enough to fold into pockets.
I know the concept for this recipe is very simple but if you’d like a visual for how I wrap these, I’ve made a quick little video which is below the recipe. Enjoy! – Nagi xx
More breakfast egg recipes
A classic Omelette or a Fluffy Egg White Omelette
Frittata – the classic done right!
Shakshouka – baked eggs made exotic
And more things stuffed between crispy flatbreads!
Things stuffed inside crispy flatbreads are always a good thing! I’ve done a few over the years:
Gozleme – Crispy Turkish olive oil flatbreads stuffed with spinach and feta
Quesadillas – and try these Avocado Bacon Egg Breakfast Quesadillas!
And handy Oven Baked Chicken Quesadillas!
And though not stuffed, this ever popular Easy Soft Flatbreads has to make the list (use as naan for curries, Greek Gyros, Doner Kebab, Chicken Shawarma – the options are extensive!)
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
No Washing Up Ham, Egg & Cheese Pockets
- 2 soft large wraps / tortillas (approx 23 cm / 9" diameter) (Note 1)
- 110-150 g / 3.5-5 oz ham slices (Note 3)
- 1/2 - 2/3 cups grated cheddar or tasty cheese (or any other melting cheese) (Note 2)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F (all oven types).
- Place 2 pieces of foil on a work surface and spray with oil (any).
- Place tortilla on foil. Place ham in the middle of the tortilla, making sure you arrange it so it is flat, not a mound (harder to keep egg in place). Even better, create a shallow crater shape using off ham off cuts and shavings.
- Place cheese in the middle of the ham, the form into a ring.
- Working quickly (one pocket at a time), crack an egg into the ring then fold the bottom and top edges in, then the left and right side to form a package (see video below recipe). Then wrap in foil. DO NOT TURN UPSIDE DOWN!!! (Egg will leak)
- Place on baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Check to ensure yolk is cooked by poking the pocket, you will feel the dome shape of the yolk. The base and edges should be crispy and the top will be soft.
- Unwrap immediately (otherwise will sweat and lose crispiness). Serve hot!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
No Washing Up Ham, Egg and Cheese Pockets recipe video!
LIFE OF DOZER
Bounding and smiling with joy that Christmas is over. NO MORE stoopid Santa hats and reindeer horns! (Little does he know that New Years’ Eve is looming….oh think of the possibilities!!)
Leave a Comment