Homemade McDonald’s Sausage and Egg McMuffin recipe with sausage patties made from scratch! You will be amazed how similar this tastes to the real thing – but so much better because it tastes like REAL FOOD!!!
This is a great grab-and-go make-ahead breakfast. Plus, sharing a cheeky way to cook round eggs even if you don’t have egg rings! 😉
Copycat Sausage and Egg McMuffin recipe!
I have a secret list of Dirty Foods I Love.
KFC Popcorn chicken is on it. Pizza Hut is on it (double pepperoni thin and crispy with anchovies!). Crispy Kreme classic glazed doughnuts.
And yes, McDonald’s is on the list too. It doesn’t happen often, maybe 3 times a year. And when it does, I do the Drive-Through-of-Shame. I would never risk being seen inside McDonald’s!!!
I really wish I was the kind of person who never craved junk food. I’m sure if I really put my mind to it, I could live a whole-food life. But it would be an EFFORT!!!
So my compromise? Takeout copycats. Junk food made at home, a whole lot healthier.
Say HI to my McDonald’s Sausage and Egg McMuffins copycat!
This copycat is all about the copycat McDonald’s sausage patties. Tasty, juicy, well seasoned breakfast patties that we love!
You will be astonished how similar it tastes to the real thing. There’s not even that many spices in the seasoning – but the secret spice is sage. This is what gives these breakfast patties that extra little flavour edge that really makes it taste like the Maccers!
How to make Sausage and Egg McMuffins in your PJ’s
It’s terrifically easy – so you can manage this half asleep or even if you’re feeling sketchy after a few too many wines the night before (let’s all just admit that Maccers is excellent hangover food).
Though if the thought of handling raw meat first thin in the morning is too much for you, just make the patties the ahead – they will keep for days in the fridge and months in the freezer!
I do like to melt the cheese ON the pattie. This is not how Maccers does it….. but who can resist molten cheese draped over a breakfast sausage pattie? Not I!
Also, my sausage patties are thicker. Because this is the beauty of homemade – we can make things just the way we want!
Don’t have egg rings?
Don’t worry! Either just pan fry eggs and push the edges in as they cook, or cut both sides out of a tuna can then use that as an egg ring! This was a genius idea from a reader, the lovely Dorothy from Tennessee.
Great make ahead breakfast – on the go!
Sausage and Egg McMuffins are a terrific make ahead breakfast. They will last for 4 days in the fridge the just need a quick microwave to reheat.
If you want to freeze them – instead of of cooking eggs sunny side up, either scramble them or make a folded omelette (of sorts). Egg whites tend to go a bit rubbery when frozen (in my opinion), but if mixed up with the yolks then cooked, they freeze fine.
And in true McDonald’s form, these Sausage and Egg McMuffins are fab for food on the go. Wrap it up, shove it in a paper bag, grab a cup of coffee and scoff these down with one hand while driving.
Because if I do the actual McDonald’s drive through, that is exactly how I eat it. 😉
All jokes aside though, no matter what your position on McDonald’s is – and I’ve been very honest with mine (i.e. Love / Hate) – these are really tasty. Really, really scrumptious.
They’re also a terrific breakfast for large groups because it’s easy to make big batches, especially if you cook on the BBQ so you can cook loads of sausage patties at the same time.
And instead of individual eggs, just make a giant batch of scrambled eggs.
Happy weekend everyone!! – Nagi x
More Grab-and-Run Breakfasts!
- Healthy Egg Muffins
- Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies – it’s like a bowl of porridge, in cookie form!
- No Washing Up Ham Egg Cheese Pockets
- No Washing Up Ham Egg Cheese Bowls
- Bacon and Egg Muffins
And more eggs for breakfast
Watch how to make it
Homemade Sausage and Egg McMuffin
- 1 lb / 500g ground pork (juicier) OR beef (mince) (Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp dried ground sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder (or garlic powder)
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar (any)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 English muffins , cut in half
- 4 slices cheese (Note 3)
- Preheat oven to 130C/275F.
- Place muffins on a baking tray, cut side up, and top with cheese. (Alternative - melt cheese on sausage patties, see video)
- Mix Sausage Patty ingredients in a bowl - use your hands to mix it real good!
- Shape into 4 patties (thick ones, or 5 Maccers size patties). Make them slightly larger than the muffins because they will shrink when cooking.
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet over high heat. Add patties (in batches if needed). Cook the first side for 2 - 3 minutes or until browned. Flip then cook the other side until browned. (Optional: After flipping, top with cheese, cover with lid to melt).
- Meanwhile, heat another pan over medium high heat with 1 tbsp oil. Spray egg rings with oil and place in the skillet. (Note 4 for other cook methods).
- Crack egg into the rings. Add around 2 tbsp water into the skillet then cover with a lid. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until egg is cooked to your liking (I like runny yolks).
- Remove warm muffins from the oven. Top with sausage, then egg, the lid of muffin.
- Serve and enjoy!
- tuna can: take both ends off, wash (well!) and use as the ring. GENIUS idea from Dorothy in Tennessee, a RecipeTin Eats regular reader!
- in a well sprayed muffin tin(baked); or
- in onion rings (just cut a 1/3" slice and use the outer ring). Otherwise, just crack the eggs into the skillet then as it starts to cook, fold the edges in to make a (albeit rough!) round shape. OR just scramble them, or make a large omelette and cut to fit onto each. 3. Cheese - I used processed cheese to mimic McDonald's. 4. MAKE AHEAD:
- Refrigerate up to 4 days, reheat on low in the microwave for a couple of minutes, or cover with foil and reheat in oven.
- Freezer - scramble eggs or make omelette and cut up into 4. Do not freeze sunny side up eggs - I find the whites can go rubbery.
Originally published May 2016, updated with brand new video, fresh new photos and a new Life of Dozer!
Life of Dozer
Just having a sniff……