A gorgeous, colourful salad loaded with tropical Hawaiian flavours! Lots of healthy greens, chicken marinated in pineapple and coconut, coconut rice, drizzled with a tasty cilantro / coriander lime dressing.
Now THIS is what I call a proper salad! Plus it’s transforming leftovers from a recipe I posted a few weeks ago. Thrifty, convenient, healthy, satisfying and super tasty. What more can you ask for in a salad??
This recipe is based on this Hawaiian Coconut Pineapple Chicken Skewers and Coconut Lime Cilantro (Coriander) Rice I posted a few weeks ago. Actually, this salad came to be because I made the skewer marinade twice in a couple of days because I lost the scrap of paper I jotted the recipe on as I measured the ingredients out properly so I could share the recipe on RecipeTin Eats. And whereas most people would simply wait until the next time they could slot the recipe into their meal plan, I was busting to share the skewer recipe with you so I made the marinade again to measure the ingredients.
Then rather than making the skewers for the 2nd time in 36 hours, I decided to marinate chicken breast. Rummaged through the fridge to find greens to build a salad, added leftover Coconut Lime Cilantro (Coriander) Rice, tossed it with a dressing and enjoyed it so much, I decided to share it on Instagram.
And my friends on Instagram enjoyed it so much, I decided to share it with you too!
Truth be told, much of what I share here on RecipeTin Eats is a consequence of a never-ending plan to use up ingredients I have in the fridge or freezer. Between client photography assignments, my monthly feature in Super Food Ideas magazine and the recipes I share here, excess ingredients is a regular “problem” I have. I actually have a whiteboard on my fridge on which I map out ideas all stemming from a list of “MUST USE” items.
I hate waste. I was brought up being scolded if I didn’t clear my plate. “A farmer worked hard to grow that rice!”, my mother scold, if I dared to leave a single grain of rice in my bowl.
OK, a little off track here. Back to the salad! So it starts with a yummy coconut-pineapple marinated chicken using the same marinade as the Hawaiian Chicken Skewers. There is actually enough marinade in that recipe to sneak in the chicken breast for this recipe. 🙂
Or you could marinate the chicken for the skewers for 24 hours, take it out then marinate the breast for the next 24 hours.
Then add a stack of greens. After all, this is a pretty full loaded salad! I rummaged through my fridge to use what I had on hand, but really, the sky’s the limit.
I also used leftover Coconut Cilantro/Coriander Rice which I served as a side for the Hawaiian Chicken Skewers. It’s a perfect match for this salad, and a great way to fill it out!
PS This recipe calls for a can of pineapple pieces. So I use the juices for the marinade and sear the pieces to throw into the salad. 🙂
Regular readers know that salad isn’t really my “thing”. I should share more of them. It just takes a lot for me to get excited about a salad.
THIS I’m excited about. A salad worth sharing! – Nagi x
PS If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll get extra little recipes, sneak previews and cooking tips. Because my cooking world is so much bigger than what exists here on RecipeTin Eats, I need another platform to share on! 😉 N x
- Marinade (Note 1):
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (from a can)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (from can, save pineapple pieces)
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce/ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 tsp EACH onion powder , cumin, paprika, ginger powder, salt
- Chicken & Salad:
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large chicken breast , halved horizontally
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup pineapple pieces (from can)
- 4 - 6 cups chopped lettuce
- 1/2 avocado , cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion , finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups Coconut Lime Cilantro / Coriander Rice (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro/coriander
- 1/2 garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp sugar or honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
Mix together Marinade ingredients, marinate chicken for minimum 3 hours, preferably overnight.
Shake Dressing ingredients together in a jar, set aside for at least 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a non stick skillet over high heat (or BBQ). Add chicken and cook each side for 3 minutes or until golden. Remove and cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes, then slice thickly.
Sear 1/2 cup pineapple pieces and corn in the skillet until golden.
Pile salad ingredients on a platter and top with sliced chicken. Drizzle over Dressing. Serve and pretend you're in Hawaii!
1. The Hawaiian Chicken Skewers recipe uses the same marinade. So you can squeeze the chicken for this recipe in that marinade OR recycle the marinade as follows: marinade chicken for skewers for 1st 24 hours, then the chicken for this recipe for the next 24 hours. After which the marinade must be discarded immediately.
2. The Coconut Lime Cilantro / Coriander Rice used as a side for the Hawaiian Chicken Skewers goes beautifully with this salad BUT if you don't have any leftover, just use plain cooked white rice and make extra dressing to pour over the rice.
3. Nutrition is per serving, assuming 3 servings, with 1 cup of plain white rice used.
Life of Dozer – Because he didn’t realise there was chicken in this salad, he was off snoozing in the sun somewhere. Probably on the sun lounge. As he does.
He lives a hard, hard life……
PPS Dozer makes regular appearances on Instagram too…..in case FOOD isn’t enough of an incentive for us to be friends on Instagram! 😉