Why make a boring old Bean Salad when you can make it a COWBOY one?? Fun to say, delicious to eat, this big, juicy black bean salad is fresh, simple and fully loaded, tossed with a lime dressing laced with South Western spices.
Cowboy Bean Salad
“Bean Salad” just sounds so dull. But stick the word “Cowboy” in front of it, and suddenly it sounds so much more exciting. Right? Same dish, different packaging. Age old marketing trick! ?
Though actually, this is a riff on a salsa dish known as Cowboy Caviar in the US. With one big important difference – it has a fraction of the sugar. Cowboy Caviar is traditionally made with so much sugar, my tooth aches just reading recipes!!
This Cowboy Bean Salad has the same good stuff in it – but 95% less sugar in the Dressing. I guarantee you won’t miss it!
You’ll love how this bean salad lasts for days and days!
What you need for Cowboy Bean Salad
Here’s what you need! Use any beans you want – even lentils or chickpeas. And if you’re one of those coriander/cilantro haters, switch it for chives.
How to make it
Pop open cans, shake up the dressing and sharpen your knife to get chopping!
Bean Salad to serve with anything!
Interesting enough for a meal, great side for any protein! It’s especially ideal for South American food and Southern/South West/Texas, most Western foods and Middle Eastern dishes.
1. Side dish for mains – it’s hearty enough to serve with beef, fresh enough for fish, and everything in between! Because it’s a salsa-type salad, you can also serve it spoon ON the cooked meat.
Main dish suggestions
2. Light meal – it will keep you full thanks to the beans!
3. Dipping salsa – scoop it up with corn chips;
This will keep for 4 days in the fridge – and the avocado won’t go brown (contact with air makes it go brown, the Dressing provides a film to stop this from happening). I like to add a squeeze of lime to freshen it up, then give it a toss and dig into it! (again) – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Cowboy Bean Salad
Cowboy Bean Salad:
- 400g/14 oz can black beans , rinsed & drained (Note 1)
- 400g/14 oz can corn , drained (or frozen thawed 1.5 cups)
- 1 red capsicum/bell pepper , 1cm/1/3" diced
- 1 avocado , diced
- 1 red onion , diced
- 3/4 cup coriander/cilantro , roughly chopped
- 250g/8oz cherry tomatoes , quartered (or 2 large tomatoes, deseeded and diced, Note 2)
Cowboy Lime Dressing:
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (or American Chili Powder, Note 3)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic , finely ninced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Shake Dressing in a jar.
- Place Salad ingredients in a big bowl. Drizzle over Dressing, toss.
- Serve immediately, or keep for up to 4 days! Might need a squeeze of lime to freshen the flavour.
Life of Dozer
This is what it looks like when a 40kg/80lb dog jumps on you in the pool!