Cream and lemon are a luscious combination. Especially when served over crispy pan fried chicken!
I was browsing my Instagram feed the other day, and all I could think was “it’s so yellow and orangey.” I shared this observation with my mother, and her response was “Well, of course. You post so many creamy cheesy bread, potatoes and meat. Everything you like is yellow and brown. Even Dozer is yellow.”
True, that. I had no response to that. (And yes, also true that Dozer, my golden retriever, makes regular appearances on Instagram 😉 ).
So one of my (many) New Years’ resolutions was to post more green foods on RecipeTin Eats.
Hmm. So much for that resolution. Double fail already, 2 posts into 2016 and not a salad in sight!
I promise, promise, promise that I have green food coming. But I just couldn’t WAIT to share this with you. It’s just so good. That sauce! That creamy lemony sauce…..
I think you’ll be surprised when you see how ridiculously short the ingredients list is, and how fast it is to make. It really is very easy – dust chicken with flour, cook until golden, then make the sauce in the same pan using chicken broth, cream and lemon juice.
That’s it. Really, it is that easy.
I like to serve mine with pasta because I make a decent amount of sauce in this recipe so it’s perfect for pouring over the pasta too. But it’s also fantastic with mashed or roast potatoes and veggies!
I always hesitate before posting recipes made with more than a couple of tablespoons of cream. The reason is because I grew up eating Japanese food which simply doesn’t use cream. At least, not for meals, only for sweet treats. I honestly can’t think of a single Japanese savoury dish that uses cream.
So using cream in cooking to me is naughty. 😉 Gee, my mum really did a great job brainwashing me, didn’t she!?
The reason I made this creamy chicken is because I had a couple of tubs of cream leftover from Christmas from a dessert that never happened. Actually, I made this, and a Salmon Alfredo Pasta.
Both were insanely good. Of course they were. Is it possible to go wrong when you cook with cream? – Nagi x
Creamy Lemon Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts , around 10oz/300g each (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 - 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth/stock
- 3/4 cup heavy / thickened cream
- 3 - 4 tbsp lemon juice (adjust to taste, start with 3 tbsp)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Pasta of choice (I used linguine)
- Finely chopped parsley
- Slice chicken breast horizontally to create two thin steaks (so you end up with 4 thin steaks in total).
- Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper, then coat with flour, shaking off excess.
- Place butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, heat until butter melts. Swirl to mix the two together.
- Add chicken and cook the first side until golden, then turn and cook the other side until golden and just cooked. Remove onto a plate.
- Add a touch of oil if your pan is dry - but you shouldn't need it. Add garlic, stir quickly, then add chicken broth, cream, lemon and Dijon mustard. Bring to simmer and scrape the bottom of the pan to dissolve brown bits into the liquid. Use a whisk if needed to smooth sauce.
- Add parmesan then simmer rapidly for 2 - 3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Add salt, pepper and adjust lemon to taste.
- Optional: Return the chicken to the pan (pour in any juices on the plate too), turn to coat.
- Place chicken on serving plates with pasta or mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if using. Pour lemon cream sauce into a sauce jug and serve on the side.
PS Want a sneak preview of the Salmon Alfredo that I’m sharing in a few weeks? Here it is….. 😉 After this one, NO MORE recipes with cream for a while!!
PPS Hmmm. I’m wondering….are there any green foods that I that I can hide cheese in?? I think there might be…..