5 ingredient, 10 minute magic – this ultra crispy PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN is insane! Juicy chicken on the inside, and a crazy, crunchy golden crust on the outside, serve it with silky cauliflower mash and a drizzle of browned butter for the ultimate gluten free, low-carb meal!
The great thing about doing “this” as a full time job means I don’t have a boss, so I can wake up and decide on a whim that I’m going to sloth around in my PJ’s all day, binge watch Netflix and have popcorn for morning tea. The bad thing about being your own boss is that when you have Man-Flu* and literally don’t have the strength to reach out of bed and hit Publish on a recipe that’s already written up and ready to go, then a post gets skipped.
I swore I’d never be one of those bloggers who would use my website to weep and moan about waking up with headaches, and I swear I’m not doing that nor looking for condolences of any sort because seriously, WHO gets a cold in the middle of summer???? It’s ridiculous. 🙄 And such a waste of time. That’s what being sick is. A waste of time!!!
* Official definition of Man-Flu (noun):
a cold or similar minor ailment as experienced by a man who is regarded as exaggerating the severity of the symptoms.
**She ducks as all male readers chuck rotten tomatoes at her.**
So, this Parmesan Crusted Chicken is the recipe I had written up and ready to go on Monday. And of course, all the words I’d written were along the lines of things like “what a way to start the week!” and “How was your weekend??”, so I had to rewrite it all. 🙄 Not that I’m complaining. I make, shoot and film recipes weeks, sometimes months ahead of publishing. But I like keeping the commentary live.
So in case you can’t tell from the photos (really?? surely!!!), this recipe is all about that parmesan crust. It’s crunchy, it’s golden, it’s packed with flavour and perfectly seasoned so other than the teeniest tiniest pinch of salt in the egg mixture (the glue), you don’t need to add any salt or other seasonings at all.
Also, no mucking around with flour either. I tried it with and without, and for shredded parmesan, it didn’t glue it on any better so I opt to skip it. Which means this is 100% gluten free.
It’s honestly as simple as this – split chicken breasts in half. Dunk in garlicky egg, press on parmesan, pan fry to golden crispy perfection.
Doesn’t that parmesan crust look incredible?? That colour ain’t from Photoshopping, that’s the colour it actually is. For the cynics out there – see? Evidence. Haven’t touched the saturation slider!!
This is a super quick dinner. If this is in your pan for longer than 6 minutes, you’ve overcooked the chicken. Speed is imperative here. High heat and speed! (We like speed for midweek meals, don’t we? 🙂 )
In keeping with the low-carb theme of this recipe, I opted to go for a cauliflower mash rather than my usual potato. And fancied it up with the tiniest drizzle of browned butter – just 1/2 tsp drizzled over the mash makes a world of difference because it’s so fragrant and has such an intense, rich flavour. Honestly, if you aren’t a fan of cauliflower mash, try it with browned butter and I bet you scoff it down like crazy!
Mmmm, just dream of that silky cauliflower puree paired with that crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken…. it’s the perfect bite.
LOW CARB DINNER OF CHAMPIONS!! – Nagi x
PS In case you were wondering, going low-carb was not a New Years’ Resolution. This is accidentally low-carb. 😂 Sorry to disappoint, to those who were hoping for more low-carb meals. I can try. But I cannot promise….
PPS Also in case you are wondering, no, I have never woken up and decided to sloth around in PJ’s all day instead of working. Nor could I sit on the sofa all day and watch TV. I can barely make it through a single movie without getting all fidgety!
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 500 g / 1 lb chicken breast (2 pieces) (Note 1)
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove , minced (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 125 g / 4 oz / 1 1/4 cups shredded parmesan (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp butter (or more oil)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cut each breast in half horizontally to make 4 steaks. If they are much thicker than 1.75 cm / 3/4" thick (at the thickest point), pound a bit.
- Place egg, garlic, pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk with fork.
- Place parmesan in a shallow bowl.
- Dredge chicken in egg, then place in parmesan CUT SIDE DOWN (Note 3). Press, then turn. Coat with extra parmesan, press. Shake off excess. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Melt butter and heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Place chicken in non-stick skillet (or well seasoned cast iron skillet). DO NOT MOVE chicken otherwise the cheese will slide off surface before it adheres! It adheres once it turns crispy.
- Press down lightly with spatula. Lift a corner to take a peek and turn with tongs when it's deep golden brown (3 minutes for me).
- Cook the other side for 3 minutes or until also deep golden brown and crispy (again, do not move until golden). Lightly press down with spatula. Don't cook longer than 6 minutes in total - dries out the chicken.
- Serve immediately! I served mine with lemon slices, Cauliflower Mash with Browned Butter (Note 4) and a Fennel Slaw with Yoghurt Dressing (Note 5).
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
LIFE OF DOZER
This is at my favourite local coffee shop, 2KF in Mona Vale, and that’s Phil the owner. Hands down the best coffee around. The Sydney Morning Herald did a review and said “he makes Campos coffee better than Campos”! I spend a lot of time here. Responding to messages, cooking questions, creating recipe videos, thinking of the next recipe I’m going to make.
And Dozer spends a lot of time smooching with the other patrons, getting scraps and LOTS of cuddles. And occasionally he orders a puppa-cino…. (jokes. Never!)