The most amazing way to cook fresh green beans – SUPER QUICKLY! Roasted Green Beans tossed with garlic, sprinkled with breadcrumbs and parmesan, then roasted OR broiled/grilled until the parmesan is golden and the green beans are tender crisp.
You’ll love how these are crispy yet juicy, savoury and salty…. but the crowning glory is how the topping ends up like crunchy parmesan wafers!!!
SUPER SPEEDY ROASTED GREEN BEANS
These roasted green beans are so speedy to prepare and so darn tasty, you’ll be picking at them straight off the pan!
This is how this recipe goes down:
- Trim the ends of the green beans (see video for the way I do this);
- Pile on tray drizzle with oil, scatter with garlic, salt & pepper, toss;
- Line up on tray, squishing together. Sprinkle over breadcrumbs (panko is best!), parmesan, drizzle with oil, then roast 15 minutes or broil/grill for 8 minutes.
Yes it really is that quick!
THOSE PARMESAN WAFERS!
What you end up with is the ordinary made extraordinary. Unassuming green beans cooked to tender crisp (I don’t like mine floppy and soft) with a touch of caramelisation on the edges and crunchy parmesan / breadcrumb bits stuck all over the beans.
And every now and then, you will strike gold in the form of parmesan wafers.
Assuming someone hasn’t picked them all off the tray…
This is one of my golden nugget veggie recipes. I haven’t been holding onto it out of selfishness. It’s simply because it’s so speedy, it almost feels lazy to be posting this as a recipe!
But having recently prepared a Thanksgiving Recipes Index and realising how depressingly lacking my vegetable sides recipe collection is, I decided it was about time I started to share some of my everyday favourites.
And these Parmesan Roasted Green Beans are right at the top of the list. I make this frequently. With Green Beans, asparagus and broccolini, as well as carrots cut into batons. Basically, anything of similar shape – or cut to this sort of shape where you can line them up next to each other.
As for what to serve these with? Basically anything that’s non-Asian. Or have these as a meal in their own right. That’s what I’ve been doing lately! ~ Nagi x
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Parmesan Roasted Green Beans
- 500 g / 1 lb green beans , ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil , separated
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (Note 1)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan (Note 2)
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F OR the broiler/grill on high with the shelf about 30cm/12" from the heat source.
- Pile beans on a tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of the oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss.
- Line up on the tray, pushing the beans next to each other (I do 2 rows).
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs then parmesan. Drizzle with remaining oil.
- Roast for 15 minutes or broil/grill for 8 minutes until the parmesan is golden.
- Use a spatula/egg flip to transfer beans to serving platter. Serve immediately!
LIFE OF DOZER
At 5.30 pm on the dot, he comes trotting over with this in his mouth. Subtle reminder: it’s bone time!!!