Glazed Carrots are usually made on the stove but they are so much more amazing roasted!!! Tossed with brown sugar and butter then roasted so you get gorgeous caramelised edges with a caramel-like sauce, this a super quick and easy carrot side dish that’s so outrageously delicious, you could just have a bowl of this for dinner. (I did!)
If you’re out of oven space, try this stove top version – with the same caramelisation!
GLAZED CARROTS WITHOUT CARAMESLIATION??
Maybe it’s because I live in Australia and not North America, but it never occurred to me to make glazed carrots without caramelised edges. Yet, when I had a scout around the internet before publishing this recipe, I was somewhat bemused to see that the standard recipe seems to be made on the stove without any caramelisation.
So really, they’re boiled carrots coated in a sugary syrup. (I’m being cheeky. 😂)
But when you roast them so you get caramelised edges? OMG!!
HOW TO MAKE THESE BROWN SUGAR GLAZED CARROTS
This is a super quick and easy recipe. Just toss the carrots in brown sugar (or honey or maple syrup), butter and oil with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Then just roast for 25 minutes in a hot oven (220C/425F) until the carrots are caramelised on the edges. A hot oven works best so we can get caramelised edges without the carrot getting too soft and wrinkled.
What you’ll end up with is a pan of tender carrots (but not mushy soft) and enough caramel-like sauce to glaze the carrots (hence the name – Glazed Carrots!) but not so much that you feel like you’re eating a dessert.
TIP: I use both oil AND butter here. The reason is that butter provides better flavour but it burns at high temperatures. So by combining with oil, we get the best of both worlds!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GLAZED CARROTS
Glazed carrots will pair beautifully with most non-Asian meals though I wouldn’t use them with mains with a sweet sauce – too much sugar. It would be ideal to pop in the oven at the same time as this Baked Chicken Breast or Roast Chicken, or this Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling.
Some more quick dinner ideas that will pair beautifully with these Glazed Carrots:
It’s a also a classic for holiday dinner tables, including Thanksgiving and Christmas.
But honestly? These Glazed Carrots are SO GOOD you might do what I did yesterday – just have a big bowl of these as a meal! – Nagi x
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- 1 kg / 2 lb carrots , peeled (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup (40g) brown sugar , loosely packed (Note 2)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp butter (30g) , melted (or olive oil)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Parsley , for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F (standard) or 200C/400F (fan).
- Cut carrot on the diagonal into 4cm / 1.75” lengths. Halve thicker end so they are all roughly the same width.
- Toss in a bowl with sugar, butter, garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Pour onto tray, spread out.
- Roast 15 minutes. Toss, then roast a further 10 minutes until soft and caramelised on the edges with plenty of glaze left on the tray.
- Toss carrots in the glaze, sprinkle with parsley if using. Serve warm.
LIFE OF DOZER