Learn how to make Pico de Gallo! This is an authentic Mexican salsa recipe made with tomatoes is incredibly easy. Use it for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, nachos, as a dip for chips or as a side for basically any Mexican dish! This can be made ahead by 1 day.
Pico de Gallo is an essential side for Mexican food. It’s stuffed in things, piled on things, served as a side. It’s by far the most well known Mexican salsa. And it’s definitely no co-incidence that the red tomato, white onion and green cilantro/coriander represent the colours of the Mexican flag!
This is a classic authentic recipe for Pico de Gallo from a fabulous cookbook I got in Mexico called Truly Mexican. This cookbook, as the name suggests, is all about real Mexican food and there is an entire chapter devoted to salsas. And Pico de Gallo is the first salsa in it!
- 3 large tomatoes
- ⅓ cup cilantro/coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped white onion (Note 1)
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped jalapeño or serrano chilli (adjust to taste)
- 1 - 2 tbsp lime juice (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp salt (table salt) or ¾ tsp kosher / sea salt flakes
- Cut the tomatoes in half and use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds and watery centre. Cut into 1cm / ⅓" dice.
- Combine with remaining ingredients. Set aside for 5 to 20 minutes. Serve as a topping or side for things like tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas and any Mexican dish!
- This can be made ahead up to 1 day. Leave out the lime juice and salt (otherwise the tomato juices will leech out), cover and refrigerate. Drain excess liquid, add lime juice and salt just before serving.
2. Use this recipe as a base and adjust to your taste, especially the lime juice, chilli/jalapeno and salt. Sometimes I add pepper and olive oil, especially if I serve this as a side salad which I often do.
3. What to use Pico de Gallo for (Mexican dishes):
- Topping/filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, taquitos, quesadillas, fajitas, nachos
- As a side salad for any Mexican, Mediterranean or Middle Eastern dish
- Top fried eggs or stuff in a folded omelette to make a Mexican breakfast!
- For corn chips as an appetiser
Nutrition for the whole recipe.