The next time you’re after a mushroom recipe, look no further than this quick ‘n easy BAKED Mushroom Rice! It’s buttery, garlicky, with golden brown juicy mushrooms and the baked rice is beautifully fluffy.
The idea behind this recipe is that the gorgeous mushroom juice drips into the rice as it bakes – the best broth base ever!
Incredible, super easy mushroom recipe!
I think the two most common recipe questions I get are:
1. Can this be made with chicken breast? (Hands down, the most asked 😂)
2. Can this be made in the oven?
(Followed closely by the 3rd most asked question: Can this be made in a slow cooker? ;-))
So here’s the baked version of the popular Mushroom Rice recipe I shared a month or so ago. Here by popular demand – and it’s amazing!
You’ll love how the mushroom juices gets absorbed by the rice as it bakes!
How to make Baked Mushroom Rice
Here’s how easy it is to make this:
- place the uncooked rice, broth and seasonings in a pan
- top with garlic-butter coated mushrooms
- bake! No stirring, no nothing!
And what comes out is extraordinary – golden brown roasted mushrooms on top of fluffy seasoned rice.
It did take a couple of goes to figure out things like the right amount of mushrooms. Too much mushrooms = too squished to go golden brown, too little = dried out rice. Quartered mushrooms work way better than sliced (cooks too quickly).
As the mushrooms cook, they do shrink considerably which reveals the surface area of the rice so you get gorgeous golden brown crunchy bits that get tossed through the rice. Also on the edges – cooks’ privilege, pick ’em all off for yourself! 😂
Stovetop vs Baked Mushroom Rice
As for which one I prefer – stove top or baked mushroom rice? I think there is a place for both versions in this world.
When time permits, I would probably still go for the stove top because I do think the rice gets a bit more flavour from the browning of mushrooms in the butter. And I just love how the rice gets stained dark brown.
But it does take more time to make. Constant stirring on the stove, an enormous pile of mushrooms cooked in 2 batches.
So from a practical perspective, I see myself making the Baked Mushroom Rice more frequently on a day to day basis. I am big on rice for a side dish.
Perfect, fluffy BAKED rice!
I know regular readers are probably sick of me saying this, so this is for the benefit of new readers / first timers who happen across this recipe – being of Japanese background, I was raised a rice snob. Mushy rice is a crime in my family.
I like my rice tender but not super soft which actually means it is overcooked. Fluffy rather than mushy.
That’s what this recipe yields. Fluffy rice.
It’s garlicky and buttery. The mushrooms are 80% browned (the part that remains in contact with the rice doesn’t brown) and I love that they are still juicy inside. The rice has absorbed all the broth AND the mushrooms juices. See how much the mushrooms shrank in the photos above? All that flavour ends up in the rice. 🙂
Mushroom Lovers – this one is for you! Go forth and enjoy! – Nagi x
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Baked Mushroom rice recipe video! I must confess I had to shoot this in two sessions so you may notice the mushrooms look a little different in some of the clips!!
Baked Mushroom Rice
- 650g (1.3 lb) mushrooms , quartered (Note 1)
- 50g (3.5 tbsp) butter , melted (hot, not cooled)
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves , minced (I use 3 - nice and garlicky!)
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice , uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chicken or vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 1/4 cups (315 ml) water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 shallots / green onions / scallions , finely sliced
- 1 - 2 tbsp butter , optional
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl. Pour over hot melted butter, add garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Place all the Rice ingredients in a baking pan - 22 x 33 cm / 9 x 13". Mine is 30 x 24 cm / 12 x 9.5" - don't need to be exact here, but don't stray too much from pan size.
- Mix and shake the pan to spread the rice out evenly.
- Spread the mushrooms over the rice - they will be partially submerged but should pretty much cover the whole surface area (to be the "lid" while the rice cooks).
- Drizzle over olive oil.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until mushroom is golden. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Finishes: Add extra butter (if using) and scallions. Toss through rice. Serve!
🍄 MUSHROOM LOVE 🍄
- Mushroom Rice – cooked on the stove!
- The most incredible Mushroom Risotto
- Beef Stroganoff and Chicken Stroganoff
- Salisbury Steak or Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
- Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Chicken Breast in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Browse all Mushroom Recipes
LIFE OF DOZER
It’s hard to believe what is now a 40kg/80lb oaf was once so small he couldn’t get down stairs….. I still remember taking this shot. He was carrying on like a baby, whimpering because his stumpy legs were shorter than the stairs so he couldn’t make it down. So cruel that I had a giggle and snapped photos before swooping him up in my arms to rescue him!!! 😂