Meet your new favourite mushroom recipe! Rice infused with earthy mushroom flavour tossed through with caramelised mushrooms, this Mushroom Rice is worthy of being a meal by itself.
Also see Baked Mushroom Rice!
A Mushroom recipe for mushroom lovers!
This one is for mushrooms lovers! Though….in all honesty, I know not of any mushroom haters. I’m a Banana Hater (slimy horrible, stinky thing!).
I know a hater of all things “bouncy” (fish cakes, tofu etc), a capsicum hater, and a hater of all things that smell like…..errr…. wind. Egg, popcorn and corn apparently fall into this category.
But I’ve never heard of a Mushroom Hater. Have you??
This recipe is pretty straight forward. It has a giant mound of mushrooms in it – 750g / 1.5 lb to be exact – and the reason I’m sharing it is because mushrooms were on sale a few weeks ago at Harris Farm markets. $6.00 / kg, that’s $3.00 / lb. BARGAIN!
How to make Mushroom Rice (my way!)
There are a couple of things I think I do differently to most Mushroom Rice recipes. Nothing schmancy, this is just the way I do it:
- Stir through some browned mushrooms at the end – So brown them, then remove them, and add some of them back in at the end. This is because the mushrooms that are cooked with the rice lose their caramelisation and we all know what a fan I am of the golden bits. Always the best flavour!
- Rice is stained brown from the mushrooms – If you cook the mushrooms on high heat and brown them nicely, the base of the pot will basically be entirely brown. And when the broth is added, it deglazes the pot so all that brown stuff* mixes into the broth and all that flavour ends up in the rice. You’ll see it in the video (below the recipe, where it always is!)
*It’s called fond! That’s the technical term. 🙂
I’m very behind on responding to messages this week, I’m sorry for that. I’m having internet issues. That the internet service here is worse than in Kathmandu just baffles me.
I’m told that NBN “should be” coming here in a few years. (“NBN” is a high speed internet infrastructure being rolled out across Australia). So even getting a post up today has been almost a miracle. I had to go to the library just to use their wifi to upload the video!
Enough complaining about 1st World Problems. Let’s just look at the Mushroom Rice again. 😉 – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Rice with Mushrooms recipe video! Note the part where I add some of the broth to deglaze the pot and it turns a dark brown colour, that’s why my rice is brown (and extra tasty! 😉 ).
More Mushroom recipes – for mushroom lovers!
- Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
- A Creamy Mushroom Sauce you’ll want to put on everything!
- Mushroom Pasta – and a creamy Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Browse all Mushroom Recipes
Mushroom Rice Recipe
- 2 - 3 tbsp olive oil , separated
- 30 g / 2 tbsp butter
- 750 g / 1.5 lb mushrooms , sliced 3 - 5 mm / 1/8 - 1/5" thick (Note 1)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 small onion , finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice, uncooked (Note 2)
- 2 1/4 cups / 565 ml vegetable stock / broth (or chicken) (Note 3)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups sliced green onion / scallions
- Optional: More butter to stir through
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over high heat. Add half the mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes until golden. Season with salt and pepper then remove and set aside (we put these in at the end, mushrooms cooked in rice don't stay as golden).
- If the pot is dry, another 1/2 - 1 tbsp oil, and add butter. When melted, add onions and garlic.
- Cook for 30 seconds, then add remaining mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned (they won't caramelise as well as the first batch) and the base of the pot is brown.
- Add rice and a splash of broth. Mix so the brown stuff on the bottom of the pot mixes into the liquid. (Video below helpful here)
- Once the base of the pot is clean, add remaining liquid. Place lid on, bring to a simmer then turn down to medium low.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until there is no residual liquid (tilt pot to check).
- Remove from stove, remove lid, QUICKLY toss in reserved mushrooms and scallions, put lid back on. Leave for 10 minutes (do not skip this step!).
- Fluff rice using a fork or wooden spoon. OPTIONAL: Stir through more butter. 🙂 Serve!
LIFE OF DOZER
Mmm…. Mushroom Rice….