This Chicken with Mushroom Gravy is a total crowd pleaser, and a great quick one for midweek! Juicy, pan seared chicken breast is smothered with a mushroom gravy that is absolutely to die for. And don’t worry – this recipe makes plenty of gravy!
I looked at the homepage of my website the other day and all I could see was golden, brown, yellowy foods. Working backwards from the most recent: Cheesy topped Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni (mostly yellow), Spring Rolls (golden brown), Crispy Roasted Parmesan Potatoes (golden brown), Baked Vegetables and Rice (some colour, mostly brown seasoned rice), 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies (100% brown).
I vowed to share something colourful this week. Bright, fresh colours, lots of green. I wanted to brighten up my website, darn it!!!!
And wait until you see the weekend recipe on Friday. It’s more brown.
Fact: Brown foods rock. The golden brown bits of any dish are always the best. Slow cooked stews, curries, pies – this type of food is me.
Healthy food blogs are probably very green with lots of colourful veggies.
My blog is very brown. And I’m totally cool with that. 😉
So here’s some more brown food for you – Chicken with Mushroom Gravy.
I know many people are extremely fond of cooking with chicken breast, but for me, it’s more the exception rather than the rule. I’m a dark meat gal – thighs, wings, drumsticks, basically every other part of the chook. Body only, I don’t do the chicken feet thing – do you?? 😉
But on this occasion, with all that sauce and a quick pan sear, chicken breast works great. Of course, it would be terrific with thigh too!
I think Mushroom Gravy is my favourite type of gravy. I say “think”, because I’m a little brain washed at the moment, seeing all these photos, and I can’t think of any other type of gravy or gravy type sauce right now.
My one little tip is to make this gravy with beef rather than chicken broth. I know it sounds counter intuitive, to use beef broth when you’re making a chicken recipe. But trust me, beef broth works better. It has a more intense flavour, but the beef flavour doesn’t overpower the dish. In fact, though people with a refined palette may notice the beef flavour, normal people wouldn’t.
They’ll just know this gravy is to die for. 🙂 – Nagi x
PS Beef broth also makes the gravy a nice deep brown colour, whereas chicken broth makes a pale brown gravy. You can use chicken broth if you prefer, but I’d add some extra flavour into the sauce – see notes in the recipe.
CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Chicken with Mushroom Gravy recipe video! Note the part where I’m making the gravy, how I add the broth gradually, stirring constantly. This is key to ensure you don’t end up with any flour lumps in your gravy. N x
Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
- 600 g / 1.2 lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless, , 4 small ones (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp / 15g butter
- 2 tbsp / 30 g butter , separated
- 120 g / 4 oz mushrooms , sliced
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped (or minced)
- 1/4 cup / 35g flour (3 tbsp)
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth (Note 2 for chicken broth)
- Thyme or parsley
- Place a plastic bag or cling wrap over the chicken and pound to even thickness 2cm / 4/5" thick. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and melt 1 tbsp butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes or until golden, then turn and cook the other side for 3 minutes. Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to the skillet. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes or until pretty golden.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp butter and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until mushrooms are golden.
- Turn heat DOWN to medium. Add flour and mix for 1 minute.
- Add about 1/4 of the beef broth, mixing as you go. Once incorporated, add remaining broth gradually, mixing constantly. This is key to avoid lumps in gravy. Use a whisk if needed (works fine even with mushrooms in there) (Note 3 for beginner option).
- Cook gravy for about 2 minutes or until it thickens to your taste - remember it will thicken more as it cools when serving. Adjust salt and pepper.
- If you want, return chicken to the pan and turn to coat in gravy.
- Place chicken on serving plates, top with gravy. Best served with mashed potato or similar to optimise the mushroom gravy experience!
LIFE OF DOZER
Wake up, eat breakfast, deal with private business, settle on day bed to watch the sun rise. #HardLifeOfDozer