Emergency Corn Chowder Soup- named as such because it involves little more than popping open cans then using the empty cans to measure the liquids straight into the pot! This is the easy soup recipe of your dreams – with potato and bacon, it’s thick, hearty, creamy and 100% delicious.
15 minutes, start to finish, with 3 minutes prep time.
EMERGENCY Corn Chowder Soup!
For busy people everywhere – this is the easy soup recipe of your dreams.
This Corn Chowder Soup is possibly the most effortless hearty soup I know how to make that’s 100% as delicious as it sounds and looks. I call it an emergency recipe because it calls for barely any prep, involving not much more than popping open a couple of cans.
No dirtying measuring cups. No mixing cornflour slurries in separate bowls. No chopping other than dicing one potato.
It’s hearty and creamy, and here’s all you need to make this:
What you need for this incredible easy soup recipe
How to make Emergency Corn Chowder Soup
Here’s how this goes down:
- sear bacon strips – chop ’em later;
- open 2 cans, tip them into the pot;
- use the empty cans to measure out the liquids (milk and broth/stock)
- dice a potato and throw that in; and
- mix cornflour/cornstarch and milk, add to thicken soup;
- sprinkle with bacon and green onion, ladle into bowls and devour!
Dinner. Done. 3 minutes effort. 12 minute cook!
When you’ve got the time, it’s truly worth making Corn Chowder from scratch using fresh corn. Use this Emergency Corn Chowder for all the other times!
I’ve kept this corn soup simple, yet hearty enough to have as a meal. But there’s plenty of customisation options – adding stuff in, making it vegetarian etc.
Here are a few ideas!
- Make it vegetarian – skip the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock.
- No bacon? Sub with ham, or skip it, stir in 1/4 cup parmesan instead to add a hit of savouriness.
- Add chicken – before adding potato, add 1/2 cup of water and 1 chicken breast, simmer with lid on for 10 minutes, then remove chicken and shred. Add potato and proceed with recipe.
- Add salmon – bake seasoned salmon at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, flake then sprinkle across top of soup.
- Add veggies – saute diced veggies in the bacon fat before proceeding with the recipe. Mmmm…. Creamy Vegetable Corn Chowder!
And though this is an Emergency Recipe and one would assume you don’t have time to make bread on this occasion, if you do have the foresight to plan, consider one of these Soup Dunkers.
This corn chowder recipe came into existence after I started my foray into this food blogging world I now call my business. After yet another day where I’d been cooking since 7 am yet somehow found myself in a position at 6.30 pm with nothing for dinner because I either: a) gave it all away; b) it was all sweet “stuff”; or c) I’d been working on perfecting a Dan Dan Noodles recipe all day and just can’t face it for dinner.
So it started with a rummage in the pantry, digging out cans of corn, and 15 minutes later (after very little effort on my part), ended with a mighty tasty creamy corn soup that I couldn’t get enough of.
The bacon certainly helps. 😇 – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
More Emergency Recipes for very busy people.
Just like this Corn Chowder recipe, Ultra Lazy these may be, but they are all made from scratch and seriously tasty!
- Emergency Chicken Rice Casserole (from SCRATCH!)
- Emergency EASY Fish recipe – Parmesan Crumbed Fish!
- Ultra Lazy HEALTHY Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
Emergency Corn Chowder Soup
- 1 tsp oil or butter
- 2 slices bacon , streaky!
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 400g/14oz can creamed corn (1 can)
- 400g/14oz can corn kernels , drained (1 can)
- 1 2/3 cups (400ml) chicken stock / broth (1 empty can*)
- 3/4 cup (200ml) milk , any fat % (1/2 empty can*)
- 1 potato , diced into 1.5 cm/ 1/2" small cubes
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 green onion , finely sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk , any fat % (1/4 empty can*)
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour / corn starch
- Place oil then bacon in pot. Turn stove onto medium high heat then cook until bacon is golden on both sides.
- Remove bacon and chop once cooled.
- If there's loads of excess fat in the pot, drain some.
- Add garlic and stir for 20 seconds. Add creamed corn, kernels, chicken stock, milk, potato, salt and pepper.
- Stir, bring to simmer then adjust to medium. Simmer 5 minutes until potato is just tender.
- Soup Thickener: Mix together milk and cornflour, then pour into soup.
- Stir and simmer for 1 minute until it thickens into a creamy soup (see video for thickness).
- Add more salt if needed.
- Ladle into bowls, top with green onion and bacon. Devour!
- Make it vegetarian - skip the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock.
- No bacon? With with ham, or skip it, stir in 1/4 cup parmesan instead to add a hit of savouriness.
- Add chicken - before adding potato, add 1/2 cup of water and 1 chicken breast, simmer with lid on for 10 minutes, then remove chicken and shred. Add potato and proceed with recipe.
- Add salmon - bake seasoned salmon at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, flake then sprinkle across top of soup.
- Add veggies - saute diced veggies in the bacon fat before proceeding with the recipe. Mmmm…. Creamy Vegetable Corn Chowder!
Life of Dozer
Winnie the Pooh was always my favourite growing up….😂 The sheer ridiculousness of watching him waddle around in this crazy outfit totally made my morning!!
PS This is not the last you will see of this outfit! Purchased from Harajuku in Tokyo – where else could you get something like this??!