Sausage and Egg Stuffed Potatoes – something different for brunch! Breakfast baked potato filled with sausage, topped with egg AND cheese, these have become legendary and in high demand around here!
Sausage and Egg Stuffed Potatoes
Baked stuffed potatoes for breakfast? YES!
I love these potato skins because it’s something a little different for breakfast plus you can get it all prepared in advance then just crack the eggs in, scatter over cheese, and pop them in the oven when ready to cook.
Like with the Sausage Country Breakfast Casserole, these Sausage and Egg Stuffed Potatoes are really just reassembling breakfast favourites in a different way. Baked potatoes, sausage, eggs, and of course, cheese.
If I had bacon on hand, I would have scattered it with some bacon bits and this would really be a Breakfast With The Lot! (Well, except toast – but who needs toast when you have potato?)
The only trick is making sure you don’t overcook the eggs. Especially the egg yolks, because the runny yolk mixing into the sausage and potato is just one of those divine “must try” experiences in life. Such are the pleasures of simple souls like myself. 🙂
My tip is to make sure the potato skin and sausage are warm before cracking the egg in. That way, you can be sure that the egg whites will set and the yolk remains nice and runny. If the potato and sausage are cold, then it takes longer for the whites to set and as a result, the yolks will overcook.
Unless, of course, you don’t like runny yolks. In which case, ignore my tip!
Look how pretty and innocent it looks, fresh out of the oven. No clue of the hidden goodness inside! – Nagi
More breakfast and brunch recipes
Nowadays, I put on brunches more than I do lunches! Here are some of my favourites to make for a crowd:
Shakshuka – Middle Eastern baked eggs in a spiced tomato broth
Frittata and Frittata Egg Muffins – terrific big batch make ahead food
Homemade Sausage and Egg McMuffins – the sausage patties taste just like Maccers!!
Sausage and Bacon Country Breakfast Casserole – all your breakfast favourites in a big casserole
Ham, Egg and Cheese Pockets or Bread Bowls – no washing up!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Sausage and Egg Stuffed Potatoes
- 2 medium baked potatoes , around 250g/8oz each (Notes 1 & 2)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 7 - 8 oz / 200 - 250g sausages (the best you can afford) meat removed from casings (Note 3)
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated cheese (any melting cheese of choice, I used cheddar)
- Finely diced parsley (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut the lid off the potatoes and scoop out the flesh. If the potatoes are cold, pop them in the oven to warm up while it is preheating. (Note 4)
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a fry pan over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, using a wooden spoon to break the sausage up into little pieces (as small as you can).
- Optional step: Brush the outside of the potatoes with melted butter or olive oil - for extra flavour and crispiness.
- Fill the potatoes with sausage, pressing down to compress as much as you can (this prevents egg sinking into the sausage).
- Crack the egg on top, sprinkle with cheese, then place in the oven to bake for 18 to 25 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Check it at 15 minutes then take a peek every 5 minutes - I find that it can go from uncooked to overcooked quickly. My oven was heated well and my potato was piping hot so it took 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley if using.
Leave a Comment