A terrific, highly versatile Everyday Cabbage Salad. Think of it like Coleslaw – minus the mayo dressing. Pairs brilliantly with light dishes like fish and seafood, as well as as rich hearty meals like roasts and stews. Can’t-Stop-Eating-It delicious!
A GREAT CABBAGE SALAD FOR EVERYTHING!
Keeping this post short and sweet because it’s an extra recipe I’m publishing today alongside the Brown Sugar Garlic Butter Pork Roast!
The dressing is a bit tangy (not sharp) with a touch of sweet, and it’s neutral enough to serve alongside almost any main, any Cuisine. I’d serve it as a side for almost any Western dish, it’s certainly at home with European dishes (Eastern and Western), South American and even Indian and Asian.
It’s an excellent stand by salad because cabbage holds up so well once chopped, so you can keep bags of the shredded cabbage in the fridge alongside a jar of the dressing, then toss it together when you need it.
Give it a bit of time to wilt, just like Coleslaw – the cabbage will sag and the salad becomes nice and juicy.
WHAT I PUT IN CABBAGE SALAD
I make this with just green cabbage (any type) or when I want to add a splash of colour, I mix it up with purple cabbage and carrot, as pictured. A touch of green onion wouldn’t go astray either, but there’s enough tang in the dressing such that it’s not required.
I call this my Everyday Cabbage Salad because it’s just that. 🙂 – Nagi x
PS Did I mention how tasty it is? Good way to consume vast quantities of cabbage!
PPS The cabbage wilts a lot after tossing with dressing. See photo above pre-dressing vs photo below post dressing, when it’s nice and juicy!
Goes with practically anything. Think of it like Coleslaw - minus the mayo dressing. Great with light foods like seafood, and refreshing with hearty foods like stews and roasts. Chop the cabbage and keep in the fridge with the dressing in a jar, lasts for up to a week! Use just cabbage, and any colours you please. Can't-Stop-Eating-It-Delicious!
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage (or more green)
- 1 cup shredded carrot (or more cabbage)
- 1/4 cup cidar vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable or canola, or light olive oil)
- 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp white sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
Shake Dressing ingredients in a jar. Start with 1 1/2 tbsp sugar and adjust to taste.
Place Salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over Dressing, toss. Set aside 20 minutes - mound will reduce by almost half and become juicy! Serve.
- Once dressed, the cabbage wilts and it becomes like Coleslaw which I love, so I have this for 2 to 3 days after dressing the Coleslaw.
- Storage / make ahead - I like to keep the chopped cabbage and dressing in the fridge, ready to use as required. It lasts up to a week, depending on how fresh the cabbage is!
- This recipe is an extra recipe I'm sharing as a side to this slow roasted Brown Sugar Garlic Butter Pork.
VARIATIONS for different cuisines
- Garlic is always a welcome addition to the dressing, but if you do add it, the dressing is only good for 3 days (on salad or in jar).
- Asian - Use rice vinegar instead of cider vinegar, add 2 tsp of soy sauce instead of the salt, and 2 tsp sesame oil. 1 tsp grated ginger and 1 minced garlic clove would be a bonus. Serve alongside Asian mains.
- Indian Style - use 3 tbsp of oil, heat in small pan over medium heat and sauté 1 finely chopped garlic. When it is starting to turn golden, add 1 tsp of cumin seeds. Allow to cool then use in Dressing. Serve alongside Indian main dishes.
- Middle Eastern - add a handful of torn mint leaves or coriander/cilantro leaves or a mix of both. Serve alongside Middle Eastern main dishes.
- Mexican - use lime in place of the vinegar and extra virgin oil as the oil, and add 1 garlic clove, minced. A handful of coriander/cilantro leaves would be ideal too. Serve alongside Mexican mains.
- Mediterranean - Use red wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar, add 1 garlic clove minced, and 2 tsp of dried oregano. Serve alongside Mediterranean mains.
LIFE OF DOZER
When Dozer came dress shopping…. I live in a very dog friendly area!