This Lemon Rice Pilaf is so good, you will want to eat it plain, straight out of the pot! It’s a Greek Rice Pilaf made with sautéed onion and garlic, rice cooked in chicken broth then finished off with lemon and herbs.
Sure to become a staple rice dish in your repertoire because it’s so versatile!
I made this Lemon Rice Pilaf as a side for a Greek Feast that I shared in my Chicken Souvlaki recipe. And I promise, it is so good, you honestly will want to eat it straight from the pot.
The reason this is not just “another flavoured rice” is because it’s made as a pilaf. A pilaf is simply a rice dish that starts like risotto – sautéing garlic and onion in olive oil (or butter), then stirring in the rice grains until they become translucent with the oil, then cooking the rice in a broth.
Cooking rice in this way transforms plain rice into a flavoured dish that is tasty enough to eat plain. In fact, there are many rice dishes around the world that are made this way, loaded up with even more flavour and with proteins added. From classic Italian risottos, to Spanish Paella, Biryani throughout Indian and the Middle East and Jambalaya.
This Lemon Rice Pilaf is a side dish so I’ve kept it quite simple. Pictured here as a side dish with some juicy Garlic Prawns (Shrimp) that I plan to share soon. (The secret is avoiding burnt garlic bits on the prawns!!).
While some Lemon Rice recipes cook the rice with the lemon juice, my preference is to stir the lemon through the rice once it is cooked. I find that the lemon flavour is fresher, and also I stir it through while the rice is hot so it sucks in all that fresh flavour.
Lemon Rice Pilaf is super versatile, but especially perfect for Mediterranean dishes. Think: Greek, Spanish, Italian. And of course seafood. This goes fabulously with any form of seafood.
Enjoy! – Nagi x
Save this Lemon Rice Pilaf to your SIDES Pinterest Board!
And find me on Pinterest to see all the delicious things I’m pinning!
- 1½ tbsp extra virgin oil (or butter)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ onion, finely chopped (white, brown, yellow)
- 1½ cups white rice, long grain (uncooked) (Note 1)
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 large lemon (1 tsp zest + 3 - 4 tbsp lemon juice)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp finely chopped dill (or sub with parsley, oregano, basil chives, mint)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan or small pot.
- Add garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent and sweet.
- Add rice and stir until rice turns mostly translucent.
- Add broth and water. Place lid on, bring to simmer then turn heat down to low.
- Cook for 12 minutes or until water is evaporated.
- Remove from from stove and rest for 10 minutes (keep the lid on).
- Remove lid. stir through lemon zest, lemon juice, herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lovey served warm or at room temperature.
2. Nutrition per serving, assuming 6 servings (3/4 cup packed per serving).
Nutrition per serving, assuming 6 servings.
Make this Greek Feast!