This Creamy Mushroom Pasta speaks for itself. A slippery tangle of pasta bathed in a creamy parmesan sauce loaded with buttery garlic mushrooms, it’s simple, quick, and utterly luxurious!
Another creamy pasta to add to your arsenal, another to-die-for mushroom recipe!!?
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
How do you make a steaming bowl of pasta smothered in a creamy Alfredo sauce even better?
Load it up with garlicky buttery mushrooms!!!???
There’s few things in this world that can rival the feeling of satisfying a craving for a big bowl of creamy pasta. And this one not only hits the spot, it’s so good it’s going to have you doing the happy dance around the kitchen (because there’s every possibility that half of it never makes your plate!).
And the best part? You’re just 15 minutes away from THIS being in front of you (in real life):
There’s not enough mushrooms!!
I insist on using a generous volume of mushrooms – 300g/10oz for 2 servings. I’ve noticed that many recipes tend to use far less – sometimes as little as 250g/8oz to 500g/1lb of pasta (which is 6 standard serves of pasta).
That’s not enough mushrooms!! Mushrooms shrink so much when cooked – a vast mound reduces by more than half once they’re golden brown.
I would be so sad if someone promised me a creamy mushroom pasta but I had to rummage around on my plate to find a mushroom!
What goes in Creamy Mushroom Pasta
Here’s what goes in my creamy mushroom pasta.
Just a note on some of the ingredients:
- Mushrooms – I usually prefer to use Swiss Brown / Cremini mushrooms because they have more flavour than plain white mushrooms. But on the day I filmed and photographed this recipe, button mushrooms were half price and I couldn’t resist ?;
- White wine is the essential ingredient here that makes all the difference. It’s used to deglaze the pan after pan frying the mushrooms until golden brown. It does not make the sauce taste winey at all, it adds flavour complexity to the otherwise simple sauce. I use this technique in many sauces, including my Creamy Mushroom Sauce for steaks etc;
- Parmesan is used to thicken the sauce slightly but the main purpose is to add flavour;
- Butter AND oil – because oil can be heated to a high temperature than butter which makes it easier to make the mushrooms golden brown and avoids burnt butter; and
- Pasta type – use any long strand pasta you want here. I have a preference for fettuccine or linguine for creamy pastas because there’s more surface area for the creamy sauce to cling to!
How much pasta per person?
Did you know that the standard serving size of pasta per person is 80g / 2.8 oz? That’s the uncooked weight. Recipes that tells you to cook 500g/1lb of pasta for a serving of 4 must be catering for people with seriously big appetites!
How to make Creamy Mushroom Pasta
Here’s how to make it. Very straight forward: brown mushrooms, add sauce ingredients, toss with pasta!
PRO TIP: Don’t crowd the pan!
Don’t crowd the pan with mushrooms, otherwise they’ll never go golden…..and remember, colour = flavour!
The recipe as written serves 2, so if you want to scale it up, cook the mushrooms in 2 batches.
On the side
Serve this Creamy Mushroom Pasta with a fresh, crisp side salad to balance out the richness of the sauce. A fresh garden salad with a Balsamic Dressing, French Dressing or Italian Dressing would be ideal.
If you’re going for a blow out feast, add a side of Garlic Bread or Cheesy Garlic Bread. And if you really want to impressive the pants off your family and friends, upgrade it to Cheese and Garlic CRACK Bread!! It’s so good (and so fun) it continues to be regularly requested by my family and friends. ? ~ Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 160g/ 6oz fettuccine or linguine (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (Note 2)
- 300g/ 10 oz mushrooms , sliced 1/3 cm / 1/8" thick (white, cremini/swiss brown)
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine , dry (or rose, sub more broth)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken broth/stock , low sodium (or veg)
- 3/4 cup (185ml) cream , heavy / thickened (Note 3)
- 1/3 cup (30g) parmesan , finely grated (Note 4)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper , each
- Extra parmesan , for serving
- Parsley , roughly chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta in salted water for 1 minute less than time per packet (start this mid mushroom cook). Just before draining, scoop out 1 cup cooking water, then drain.
- Melt butter and heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly. When they start to sweat, add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When pretty golden (about 4 - 5 minutes), add garlic and cook until garlic is golden and mushroom is golden.
- Stand back and add wine (it will be steamy!!), stir, scraping the bottom of the skillet. Simmer rapidly until wine is mostly evaporated and winey smell is gone.
- Add broth, cream, parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir to dissolve parmesan and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Transfer pasta into sauce, toss for 1 - 2 minutes until sauce thickens and coats pasta. If sauce gets too thick (rather than slick, see video), add a splash of reserved pasta cooking water.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with extra parmesan!
More Good Food
For creamy pasta monsters
- Creamy Chicken Pasta of your Dreams – reader favourite!
- Creamy Garlic Prawn (Shrimp) Pasta
- Creamy Tomato Pasta – creamy pasta fix with less guilt!
- Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta – Alfredo sauce, chicken, bacon…. you know it’s a winner!
- Browse pastas for more
And more mushroom recipes
For people like me who can’t resist a store bargain!
- Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
- Mushroom Rice and Baked Mushroom Rice
- The most incredible Mushroom Risotto
- A Creamy Mushroom Sauce you’ll want to put on everything!
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Browse all Mushroom Recipes
Life of Dozer
Some dogs are clever enough to know to blow bubbles out their nose when they stick their head under water.
Dozer is not one of those dogs. ?
Every time he sticks his head under water, he spends a good few minutes snorting water out of his nose!!!